Fly Tying

I just ordered a 3cc syringe of it for about $4 from Bear's Den. I'll see how it goes. If I can't cure it with my light, it's not a great loss, plus apparently I'll be able to cure it in sunlight. I have several uses in mind for it. The main thing I am attracted to is the fact that it's near zero waste. I always end up mixing 3 or 4 times as much epoxy as I need to use, and I don't use it all that often.

my first attempt using the tuffleye, man this stuff is great. one coat of very thinned out light black loons hard head laquer then one coat of the tuffleye finish, 15 seconds of light and done, smooth as glass and if you look closely and blow up the pictures you can actually see me and my tying room behind me in the head of the fly or finish of tuffleye. like glass

post-2058-1216376724_thumb.jpg

post-2058-1216376752_thumb.jpg

i'm sold

Bud

I got my stuff in the mail today- and the Tuffleye DOES CURE under my 380nm UV LED light. It seems to cure slightly yellow, and quite oily. Perhaps the frequency is not totally correct to completely catalyze the reaction. If I read correctly, the Tuffleye light is supposed to be a 1 Watt single LED-- that is a fairly kick-ass powerful LED. My light isn't quite 1W total, and that is from 32 LEDs. Anyhow, it works, and the sunlight trick might finish it off. I also got a tube of Loon UV Knot Sense, which my light cures in seconds. It seems to cure very clear (no yellow) and not oily at all. It seems about the same consistency as the Tuffleye Finish. To me, for the applications I used the stuff in today, the Loon product wins.