Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Profile plates

I also like light blue but depending on the fly will use black as well. Given a choice I say blue.

I may also suggest buying a piece of blue foam. A lot cheaper than a plate

u can make a profile plate (bent coat hanger, foam sheet and clear packing tape) for a lot less than u can buy one

lt blue or tan for me

A lot of flies look good with blue backgrounds, but I prefer gray. Two reasons: 1.) Sometimes the blue will fool a camera's light meter into underexposing the image. Most camera meters are designed to read an image as "18 percent gray." That means light images (with lots of light tan, light blue, yellow, white, etc.) will naturally be underexposed. Dark images (with lots of black, dark brown, purple, dark blue, etc.) will usually be overexposed.

Reds, medium greens and medium oranges fit on the gray scale at about 18 percent, so they'll usually expose pretty accurately.

To avoid fooling my camera's meter, I use a background card that's pretty close to 18 percent gray. A warm shade of gray helps counter the camera's natural tendency to create bluish images.

I also find that the gray card, used as a backdrop for tying, is easier on the eyes than blue, white or black. Your mileage may vary.

John

P.S. I also use construction paper. I cut it out and spray-glue it onto a plastic backing plate.