Fly Tying
DHise

Stonefly

Ok, guys and gals. Here is another attempt at semi realism.

I had trouble with proportions when shaping the underbody (hard to tell how its going to look from a bunch of chenille stacked on top of itself) and the legs.

Can you give some advice on bulking up the japanese nymph legs with raffia or the like? That, to me, was the most difficult part of the fly. It took me forever.

Well, here ya go. Remember, I'm new to the realism thing so be constructive and nice. :j_k: Let 'er rip.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Really Really nice job :headbang:

Try using waxed dental tape for the under body. Sold right next to the dental floss. pull it tight on every wrap so that is fuses together while building up the body and flatten with smooth needle nose for a slim profile.

Broom bristles for the leggs at the dollar store. $1 will get you more than you will ever use. Most dollar stores carry the kind that can be used.

Great work on the stone!

Brent

Dhise ,I wont pretend to know anything about stoneflies. But that is one nice bug.

Fred

Good Day,

Dave, where have I seen that before... hmmmm... :D

Nicely done my friend, nicely done.

Brent, right on with regard to both the dental tape and broom bristles. Never know where you might find materials huh? Plus, if careful, the dental tape thing can also be done to build up the legs. Or, I also use the thinnest thread I have, 17/0. Like spiderweb thin.

Steelie

Hehe....it looks like we are all reading the same books here......check out my version of just about the same nymph....;)

Hey, yours looks better. You weren't suppose to post that. :D

Sorry....:unsure:I thought of that after I posted my reaction..... ;) I didn't mean to steal your topic or anything, I was just having fun about us tying the same thing. I tied this one to get the hang of it and to check if it would be any fun. I used to tie classic salmon flies but I like realistic stuff better. I'm trying to get things less bulky and more detailed but it's hard....as we all know. I just checked the posts of Paul Whillock himself and can't help but be amazed with every fly he makes...let's just hope we can get even close to that level.

Greets Paul.

Hello, here my variations on theme Stone Fly.

Here only legs not such expressive as on the first photos.

0_1da92_3d757644_L.jpg 0_1da95_28e4a1f1_L.jpg

0_1da97_78585fd5_L.jpg 0_1da9d_ee96a41d_L.jpg

0_1daa2_9eecfde1_L.jpg

Dave nice work on the bug! Is that what you are sendng for the steelhead swap? :thumbup:

Hi Dave, I hadn´t seen this post.

I am sure that trouts are going to give up vegetarian diet having this arround.

Great work!

Andrés T.