Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutnabout

Thorax gills on a nymph

There is a lot of ways to do it. Some more realistic and some more just for functionality. I use chickabou feathers or ostrich most often, in a lot of different ways. Shane Stalcup uses a nifty technique on some of his nymphs. It's relatively easy. Wrap ostrich around the shank where you want the gill effect. Rib with wire. Heat up your bodkin with a lighter and gently singe the top and/or bottom of the ostrich down to the wire with the hot bodkin. Makes a really neat effect.

Old Hat is right, many ways to do this. I use aftershaft feathers, located behind body feathers, I mainly use pheasant and Partridge, but most bird skins can be used :rolleyes: Jack Gartside and Jeff Andrews(bear) have many patterns that incorporate these. Google aftershaft or the two names and you'll get step by steps http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/ffmbeststeel/ or http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gartside_sparrow.htm

Bruce; thanks for the link to Flyfisherman. The visual instructions helped. also how cool that there is a good use for the aftshaft feathers. I love it when a solution is effective, economical and easy. :headbang:

There is a lot of ways to do it. Some more realistic and some more just for functionality. I use chickabou feathers or ostrich most often, in a lot of different ways. Shane Stalcup uses a nifty technique on some of his nymphs. It's relatively easy. Wrap ostrich around the shank where you want the gill effect. Rib with wire. Heat up your bodkin with a lighter and gently singe the top and/or bottom of the ostrich down to the wire with the hot bodkin. Makes a really neat effect.

Old Hat thanks for the new tecnique.I B) i'm gonna try it out this week

Aftershaft here. There are numerous ways to use them but I like them laying along the abdomen.