Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
erhetta

Rubber Legs question

So I am trying to tie a rubber legged bugger in the fashion that imitates what I have been purchasing. The ones I purchase have the legs on top, usually 6 of them, and kind of swing back on the retrieve. They are my go-to on the delta for big 'gills and subsurface bass. Anyway, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tie them so that they stay on top and in-line. I usually dont get a lot of time when I sit down to tie to experiment, so I figured I would ask.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Tie the leg in with a wrap or two, then cross under the hook and come over the leg making an X pattern with your thread. Then put a few wraps in front and behind to keep them in place. Once you have all the legs tied down trim them to be the same length on each side. Of you have more rubber on one side then the other it will twist your leader.

One mistake is to make the first wraps too tight. If you initially make a pair of soft figure eight wraps to set the location of the legs, then tight wraps to secure them they will tend to stay in place better. And like Worstcaster said, cut them the same length. The easiest way to do this is to pull them up (or down) and then cut them at the same time. This assures the same length. Take a look at this video for some more helpful tips on tying rubber legs on bream flies:

TxEngr

Criss-cross wraps with the rubber leg material on top of the shank. As mentioned previously, do a few soft wraps, then crank 'em down.

Thanks for the advice....

The fly I am trying to imitate is Here.

Notice how the rubber legs are on top....that is what I am trying to get down.

For that result you probably want to loop the leg around the thread between the bobbin and the hook. Hold the loose ends in your left hand and make two turns around the hook shank and let the middle of the loop be pulled down to the shank. You have now tacked the leg down wherever you want it positioned. You can then pull the legs forward or back and make a wrap over the end of the loop you have tacked down, and in this way you angle the legs however you want. If you want one leg on each side, just make a figure 8 around the center of the leg.

Hi Worstcaster;

I too struggled with attaching rubber legs at first. Most replies here are right on with loose wraps at first and Coachbob gives the final detail on how to get the legs positioned where you want them. Rubber leg techniques are a lot like first tying with flash materials, the little details on how to attach, proper tension, and holding material correctly are the keys.

I've found that most of the materials/techniques with fly tying take a bit of practice until you hit that ephiany concerning a particular technique. then you move on to the next hurdle/ephiany and so on.

good luck;

Wayne

A big thanks to all that replied. I got it down now, even though it is kind of a pain. Practice is definitely making it easier.

Now on to my next thing to learn....hair spinning and stacking... :bugeyes:

Hey! That fly shop is my old stomping ground.

CoachBob is right on. Just loop a strand of leg material around the thread. Hold the leg material in your left and lower it to the top of the fly as you bring your thread down the far side of the hook and cinch it down when you bring your thread up for the second wrap. Position the legs and make a couple wraps to hold them there. This is the only technique I use to attach rubber legs to any fly.