Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Robert T

Camera Lens Combo for fly pics

Hi All,

I mostly hang out in the classic forum and was told this is the place for photograpy questions.

I am looking to get a DSLR so I can get better close up shot of my flies. I want to be able to manual focus, set small f-stops for better depth of field and have good macro capability without a macro lens per say. Of course would use the camera for other things too.

Went to a local Ritz store and looked at the Nikon D60 and Canon Rebel XSi. The Nikon did not have 'live view' and could not both select macro mode and set aperature at same time (at least the clerk at the store did not know how to do this). The Canon did have 'live view', which I really want, but again could not set f-stop and be in macro mode at the same time.

The clerk suggested getting a Quantaray 70-300 zoom that has a macro setting and using it with the Canon. We tried it and it looked like it may work. By standing 3' or so back and zooming in, the image in the live view LCD looked really good. Plus I would have a nice all round outfit and all this for $950.

So, the question is: Is this a good way to go?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Robert,

Both Nikon and Canon are excellent cameras. (ford vs chevy).

Choose a brand and go for it. In regards to macro lens's.... I think the clerk showed you an ok setup. The 70-300mm is going to be nice for when you want to zoom in and cover some distance but when it comes to macros there are far better options out there that would work much better than the 300mm.

I would check out the 60MM or 100MM macros. You will be much happier with either one of these lens's.

The live view is ok. I have it on my 40D. I have only used it a couple of times. Unless you are doing a lot of landscape shooting I really do not see the point in "live view", but again that is just my opinion and there are a lot of people who love the new feature who are crossing over from traditional point and shoot cameras.

All in all the setup on the XSi is a decent price, however I would consider picking up a true macro lens if the budget permits. You will be able to handle a better fstop and get the shots you are looking for in your fly pics. Do a search on any of Canon, Tamron, Sigma 100mm macro lens's and I am sure you will be pleased.

Good luck on the purchase! Let us know what you go with.

If you go with the Canon DSLR, I strongly suggest buying the lens and camera body separate. My wife bought me a Canon EOS Rebel for Christmas and got the standard lens that came with the package. While it is nice and take good pictures, a macro lens would be much more useful for my fly photography. I plan to eventually buy the Canon 100 Macro lens.

If I had it to do all over again, I would buy these two items:

Canon EF 100mm Macro Lens

Canon Digital Rebel XSI (Body Only)

Thanks guys.

I may go with the set up mentioned as it will give me lenses that will cover a wide range. Since I am not 'into' photography and want to limit the $$ this may be an OK setup for me. If, later, I want better macro capability, then I could get the macro lens.

Again, thanks for the input.

Bob

Just my $.02 worth - I've had the 100mm Canon macro for a few months - it's a very versatile lens aside from its macro capabilities. I use it mostly for photographing my wife's paintings, and it's one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. For $500, it's a steal.

I am looking to get a DSLR so I can get better close up shot of my flies. I want to be able to manual focus, set small f-stops for better depth of field and have good macro capability without a macro lens per say. Of course would use the camera for other things too.

Im Canon, so Im sticking to that. Nikon is worth considering to.

Robert the reason you couldn't set the f/stop is because you were in an auto mode...macro mode to be exact. Any "auto" mode on the dial will see the body behaving like a poin and shoot. Its in complete control.

Go back to a camera store and put the camera in "AV" (Aperture priority), its a semi auto mode. In this mode you set the ISO and the f/stop, te camera sets the shutter speed to whatever is needed for a "proper exposure".

If you pull the trigger on this, goto a good book store or Amazon and also buy "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It will shed alot of light in laymans English on what he calls the Exposure Triangle...ISO/F/stop/Shutter speed. Its important for macro shooting given you'll be a small f/stops...F11 to F32.

Any entry level body will do. That said, in my mind "Live view" was made for macro shooters. Macro shooting should be done in manual focus and if your trying to get critical focus on some tiny thing, seeing it on the LCD rather than through the viewfinder makes that easier.....not to mention you can zoom in 5X and 10X to make sure critical focus is exactly where you want it.

Lenses

You dont have a huge budget, nor do you want to get"into" photography....Truth is, you may, once your up and running...Its addictive.

Macro is just another word for close focusing. The closer you can get he end of the lens, the larger your flies will appear in your photos. The closer your lens te smaller your DoF.

In my opinion a generic all purpose 70-300 will end up leaving you dissapointed eventully and you'll replace it. AT first you may love it but as you bcome more familiar, you'll realise its not doing what you want it to do.

Its a fin all purpose lens for someone who doesnt want to "get into" it, its not going to be great for shooting your flies.

I understand your on a budget but heres what I would do.

Get a basic all purpose lens to use when at the zoo with the kids, fishing, birthday parties, whatever.

Something like a 17-85 IS or 28mm to 105ish.

Save a bit more and get the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro. Its about half or 2/3s the cost of Canons 100mm f2.8 mcro and every bit as good.

You shoudl be able to package that for around 1500 with and XTI or XSI.

Thank you all for the wonderful advise. I really appreciate it. Will take all into consideration before making the purchase.

Bob

For what it's worth, the affordable 70-300 will not work very well for a macro setup. The max aperture at 300 is what? 5.6? That's not going to give you a great narrow dof.

Also, whatever you get, don't forget a good tripod.