Fly Tying
Dart

How do you sort / store your hooks?

The boxes tyrite talkted about are what I use. Picked a couple of them up at the craft store in the beading section. Holds size 4 and 6 TMC 200R hooks just fine. Curved bottom makes it easy to get at even the #22 hooks I tie on. Each compartment has an individually closing and latching lid. They were about 6 bucks apiece.

C

I used two of those until I had more hook sizes than it would accomodate. Now only the 20-24s are in those -- for which it works fine.

As for the rest, I usually buy Dai-Riki or Mustad hooks that come in boxes of 50 or 100. I have a drawer in my tying desk that is dedicated to fresh water hooks and they are arranged in the boxes by size. There's maybe 60 boxes in that drawer. I have anothe drawer dedicated to saltwater flies that has sizes 1-3/0 also in boxes.

Actually, keeping them in the original boxes is quite convenient and if you don't have a drawer you could get a scrapbook paper storage container (Hobby Lobby) that would hold probably 150 hook boxes. [That's what I used before I got the desk.]

I've used the C&F pallets for years and like them a lot. They hold more than you think and take up very little room. But...I recently "discovered" the containers that Tyrite mentioned and think that they are by and far the best system for organizing and holding lots of hooks. I have just two containers now and have started filling them from all my stashes. I purchased sticky mailing labels and made labels for each compartment and labeled them in pencil. I only have my steelhead hooks organized so far. I paid about $18 for each case w/boxes on sale. What I like about these boxes:

Individually locked boxes.

Different sizes available.

Curved bottoms.

In a binder to fit on shelf like a book

Labeled binding

See through lids

post-13329-1223316554_thumb.jpg

I purchase mainly Tiemco and what I do is remove the staple that holds the plastic bag with magnet in it to the cardboard tab, turn it upside down so the resealable thing is now facing down then re-staple it in the cardboard tab then hang it up on my pegboard station. I keep similar hooks together on one peg in order by model and size and when I need a hook I just open up the zip top reach in, grab what I need and reseal. I'll purchase 100 counts which come in small boxes and refill as needed and these boxes arrange nicely in small storage drawers.

Here's my station... I hang stuff inside, on the out side stack stuff on top and on the bottom in the middle... You can see the hooks on the left side right on the edge. It's not the greatest system but I like it because I've had to move it 3 times since moving into the house and I can slide it around pretty easy w/o having to remove anything. I'm planning to put small casters on it one day...

IPB Image

Another good idea when you are using multi-compartment organizers is to put a small magnet in each compartment. Then in the event of an accidental spill, most of the hooks stay together. Because even if only one compartment is open, you can still spill it accidentally, and 50 or 100 size 20 hooks scattered around the floor is no fun at all.

You can get little packages of magnets at any craft store. They are usually pretty cheap. Maybe a 1.50 for 8 or 10.

Justin

So, I think I've finally decided on a method to organize my hooks. These clear acrylic tubes fit nicely in these stack-able boxes. I wanted something that was modular, in that I could easily reorganize them as I add to my collection. I have a label in each container that lists the hook information in case a tube gets put in the incorrect place. If there wasn't information I couldn't locate and I made an educated guess at, I put it in Italics so I know it's not the Gospel. For example, in the first picture:

O. Mustad & Sön 38933 *

14 • STD • 4XF • TU • S

Dry, Surface Spiders

Manufacturer, Model Number (Special Note - in this case it was donated to me by Old Hat. I like to keep note so I can show them what I've tied with hooks they've gifted me)

Size • Length • Weight • Eye info (Turned Up) • Bend (Sproat)

Uses

Then I have a "map" taped underneath the lid, viewable from the outside. This shows me where each hook is. I also have an excel file that I can hit "alt - f" and type info that I'm looking for. For example, if I'm looking for "TMC 100," I know I can find sz 26 in Box 1, Col 3, Row 2, sz 15 in Box 1, Col 5, Row 3, Row 4, Row 5, etc. Then I know exactly where to go to put my hands on the hook.

I always tie at a desk with access to my computer, but I'm going to come up with an organization of the hooks so they're easier to find without the use of the computer. Maybe I start with all sz 32 hooks, and go larger and within sizes, I sort them by hook length, then by wire weight. I'll think of something, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

The one thing I really like about this system is that if I need to add something to a box, I don't have to relabel everything. All I do is insert the new hook in the appropriate slot in my Excel file, print a new "map" and tape it to the inside of the box. I've also done the same thing with beads, coneheads, dumbbells and tape eyes. Anyway, it's a bit involved and I don't know if I explained it well... but when I start organizing, I tend to go overboard. I've also organized ALMOST all of my drawers. I have a few more to do then I'll be ready to tie again. This has been 4 days in the works.

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG