Fly Tying
Paul vd Driesche

Pteronarcys Adult

Hello Paul,

Your fantastic flies amazed many at the International at Somerset. I know Bobby Meade couldn't get over your display of giant stoneflies. It was great to see you again and I hope you plan many more visits.

I spoke with Henk yesterday. He is up at Spruce Creek with Eric & I plan to join them on Friday. I will be sure to send your greetings. Say hello to that lovely young lady you were with as well.

Steve

Thank you guys....I'm blushing here :rolleyes:

I had a great time and you guys had a good part in that. If they will send me the invitation I will certainly be back.

Steve, you have a good time with them and do say hello from me. And this lovely young lady had a great time too ;) and I will let her know you said hai.

Greets Paul.

:headbang: Comparing the profile of yours to a real one I photographed this Summer(pic below), I can't find anything wrong with this fly. Perfection!

BigAssBugs.jpg

:headbang: Comparing the profile of yours to a real one I photographed this Summer(pic below), I can't find anything wrong with this fly. Perfection!

BigAssBugs.jpg

Hi

Inwould like know what the hook size and what material for your wings?

This fly is beautyfull it is great art.

michel

BigAssBugs.jpg

Hi

Inwould like know what the hook size and what material for your wings?

This fly is beautyfull it is great art.

michel

Hello Michel,

You'll have to ask God. Those bugs aren't tied, they're both insects I caught while fishing this Summer. The Green Drake is a huge mayfly, but it's dwarfed by the size of that Salmonfly Adult.

Thank you guys....your reaction is much apreciated.

Alex, Nice picture with these two flies together.

Michel, Here we go.....I use a thin clear plastic sheet which is a bit like the sheet used for overhead projectors but as thin as you can get it. A piece of 1 inch wide and 2 inches high is than taped on a print of a wing which can be found on the interner quite easy, just print that out and that will be your guideline. Than I use varnish (just the plain stuff you use to finish the head of your fishing flies....Hard as Nails in my case) and put a small drop on the point where all the vains come together at the base of the wing. with that drop I glue the beginning of a 6/0 tying thread in the right color (grey or brow) to the plastic sheed. Then with a dubbing needle I just add more drops of varnish and with gentle strokes push the thread to the sheed and that way glueing it to the sheet following the vain pattern of the print below. when you have covered them all you remove the sheed from the print and you will end up with a piece of sheed with the exact copy of the vain patern. A coat of a matt varnish will take the shine of and fill in the gapps. If you use the right color of thread there is no need to add any coloring to the sheet. The color shining through from the body will be just perfect.

Now basicly this is the way that Paul Whillock does it in his book. The only difference is that he used raffine instead of plastic sheet and fibers and hairs instead of tying thread. I prefer the transparancy of the sheet and the thread for the bigger size flies.....it just works better for me.

This is about as clearly as I can explain the proces in a few words....in reality it takes me 6 to 8 hours for each wing to create( these things have 4 of them) but the results are way better than other technics I have seen or tried. Given the reactions I receive from people on shows that same goes for a lot of people. I hope you can use the explanation to your advantage.

Greets Paul.

Thank you ;) I ty them on stainless steel wire (the toothy critters stuff I got from Wall mart) as a set so I can shape them the way I like them to be with my thread mostly, the upper part off the leggs have a piece off 65/100 mono in them on the underside of the leg which gives the volume and the shape. The will be tyed to the body when they are shaped they way I like them. This gives me way more room than when you try to shape legs that are already attached and sit like 6 mm apart from each other.

Greets Paul.

Hi paul

your flies are wonderful,you are a true artist

just curious about one thing how do you plan what you tie ,do you just tie what you fancy tying or do you gradually go to a harder subject

jim

Thank you guys;) and Jimmy....sorry for my late reaction...I kind of missed your comment. I tie the flies I like best. I do put some things on hold untill I know a way to solve certain problems. It took quite some time before I started my may flies because I couldn't find the right way to make the wings the way I liked them. Once I found the right way (for me) I gave them a go. I used the same technic to create the stonefly wings by the way. At this moment I'm working on a hellgrammite. I started that one because it's a bug they know well in Newark where the fly tying symposium is held each november. People like recognizable stuff and they use these bugs to fish for small mouth baas so......

Greets Paul.