Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Twist

Frustrated with Herl!

I can't believe that I'm the first one to say; tie in your herl and then simply twist it around your thread tightly like a small rope and then wrap it around your hook shank. Only twist a couple of inches and do more if needed. It's much faster than a loop and and makes it just as durable. ;)

twist three strands of herl together and then wrap.

shane

If you aren't going for a perfect hackle tie on the herl i.e. a presentation Royal Wulff then, twist the herl two wraps around your thread in the bobbin, then wrap the herl on while holding the bobbin and end of the herl. The Thread overlaps the herl as it ties in. Definitely won't come apart from a fishes bite that way. Oh and it is quicker than the dubbing loop method. Works good lasts a long time.

Cheers, Futzer.

or along the lines of what futzer suggest,tie in 3 strands,twist together wrap around the hook and then wrap ure thead and then your ribbing though the fly,lasts pretty good and works for me and quicker and easier than dubbin loop.

shane

I believe futzer mentioned this.

I'm familiar with dubbing loops, but anyone have pic of just twisting in the herl?

Would I let the bobbin hang, and use fingers to twist strands of herl around it?

What would I use to tie off the herl to the thread before wrapping the fly?

Try this website. It is a series of flies tied by two people that airs or aired on PBS. Anyway any of the patterns that classically call for herl the main tyer uses this method. It's a good resource.

http://kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

C

I'm familiar with dubbing loops, but anyone have pic of just twisting in the herl?

Would I let the bobbin hang, and use fingers to twist strands of herl around it?

What would I use to tie off the herl to the thread before wrapping the fly?

Hi Nozzlenut, Let me Splain. I tie in the herl, then spin it twice round my thread. With about an inch of thread out of the bobbin I grab the herl and thread with my right thumb and forefinger and wrap the body that I want. When I want to tie off the herl I just release it to my left hand and tie it off. It is more simple than it sounds, and ends up acting like I make one wrap of herl and then wrap my thread up, and repeat. It is a very sturdy way to use herl, especially if you are not ribbing the herl with wire or tinsel. If that is still un clear I could do a few photos or a vid clip if that would help.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer,

AHHH-haa. I'm picking-up what you're laying down.

I was just having a little trouble picturing it; I wasn't sure if I would twist herl along a longer length of thread and somehow pinch them together with hackle pliers or something. Working in single or a couple wraps would work better.

Thanks

NN

Good Day,

I am going to take a completely different track from many of the well stated posts. Peacock herl, like any other feather is subject to the rigors of being too dry. This applys just as well to your dry fly hackle. Too dry and it will break or snap. So, make sure that your hackle, of any type, is kept moist enough not to snap or break when tied on. That could mean even soaking said hackle in water for a few hours. Perhaps even with a bit of Dawn or other dishwashing soap. More so in Northern winters than any other time...

Steelie

Herl is humidity sensitive, if it's breaking its dry and should either be replaced or remoistened with a few drops of water in the bag. My method is to use 2-4 strands at once depending on size requirements. Suppose you live in Arizona, you would have numerous problems with herl. I live in Virginia, I rarely, but sometime add a drop or 2 of water to my materials and reseal the bag.

What I've done for a while is pinched the end and a few inches back and then pulled. Where it snaps apart is typically where the problem would have been. I then tie in at the broken tip and wrap. I don't break off very often anymore.

Steelie and VAflyguy are correct, humidity is very important. Here in Utah, my solution was a home humidifier. Also 92Esquire's note of clipping back to a heavier part of the stem helps too. I also tie enough that the "freshness date" of most of my material is less than a year, I feel that makes a difference too. I tie a lot of Herl flies for Brookies in the Unita Mtns. They have sharp teeth, so if I do not overwrap the herl, or rib it, the herl falls apart in just a fish or two. That's my reasoning and the durability is improved.

Cheers, Futzer

PS, I bet Twist never imagined the amount of Herl information!

I found if you have trouble with any type af feather breaking that I would run it under warm water for a few seconds and this puts some moisture back into the spine. gl