Fly Tying
HobbesFly

Nylon vs. Fluorocarbon tippet/leader

I've heard a lot of different opinions in the nylon/fluoro debate. I use both, but can't see a whole lot of difference between the two besides the PRICE!

I've heard a lot of different opinions in the nylon/fluoro debate. I use both, but can't see a whole lot of difference between the two besides the PRICE!

I use fluorocarbon all of the time now. Except for on panfish.

I use totally fluoro now, and the difference in catching fish is great. It is much more invisible to fish. Just be extra cautious not to leave fluorocarbon behind as it takes litterally forever to decompose. I carry a small ziplock bag and pack out all my old clippings, knotted tippets, etc.

Cheers Futzer

I also use both. When I'm fishing deep I normally use nylon. When I am fishing surface flies I try to use fluoro. I went underwater with a mask and took a look at bassbugs and leaders straight up against the sky. Nylon was easier to see. When I'm fishing in salt and want a bite tip I usually use 30lb fluoro. It seems tough and abrasion resistant compared to nylon, but maybe that is subjective. I don't know if I can afford fluoro any more! I'm not totally convinced it really matters too much in general. Like so many other things, if a person has confidence in it, that person will catch fish with it.

First, don't buy 30 yds of floro tippet for $12. Buy VANISH where you get 250 yards for the same price.

Second, use an improved clinch, palomar or pitzen to tie with floro because it doesn't take knots as well as mono.

Third, understand that you can use a larger diameter floro than mono because of the visibility factor.

For panfish I now never use smaller than 6# or 8# test. For bass, specks and reds I'll use 20# and up bite tippet.

In thin tips I use always fluorocarbon. It's much stronger than nylon, but I have to do the knots extremely well.

Usually I use in thick tips nylon, but I'm now testing 0.18mm fluorocarbon. I still think, that I keep in nylon. Have to test more.

Pretty much use fluro for all my tippets now, without exception when fishing heavily fished public water, knots used to be a problem but mastered that one now. Found some of the fluro lines to be a little stiffer than nylon in the early days - have now settled on a brand of fluro that I use exclusively has the right level of softness to it for my liking.