Fly Tying

Hi guys

Just returned from this weekend FFF Denmark fly tying symposium where I let my dreams take me away.

Amongst the flies I tied were 3 patterns for Atlantic salmon fishing in Iceland.

It is only wishfull thinking but maybe some day my dream becomes reality.

The flies are (from the top)

Blue RAT

Crossfield

Laxa Blue

post-3635-1226434305_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them

Jens

Jens,

Very nicely tied Blue RAT for sure.

Hi guys

Just returned from this weekend FFF Denmark fly tying symposium where I let my dreams take me away.

Amongst the flies I tied were 3 patterns for Atlantic salmon fishing in Iceland.

It is only wishfull thinking but maybe some day my dream becomes reality.

The flies are (from the top)

Blue RAT

Crossfield

Laxa Blue

post-3635-1226434305_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them

Jens

Excellent Job :headbang:

A fine example of quality tying Jens !!!

The Crossfield is a fly I've never heard of or seen before . It has great potential . I really look at flies with fishing in mind I must say .

Thanks for sharing Jens !!

(maybe one day I'll get off my butt and start posting some of these "experimental" flies I have stuck in the drying foam)

Mike

Orph... Sweet dreamcatchers Jens :thumbup:

Iceland is magic, but most of us need to :ph34r: a bank or win the lotto to go fishing there :wallbash: ....

Hope for sure you get there.

Regards Claudia

Hope you get there too Jens........GRREAT tyes you did there. Please let me know if you guys would like me to come over and tye next year....... ;) mark..... B)

hey Bruce. :D We're gonna be in Washington state next May1st and 2ed for the FFF Washington State Council Conclave.......Ellensburg or Ellensville......?? Ellen somethin' or other i think it is........you gonna be there?

Excellent Job :headbang:

A fine example of quality tying Jens !!!

The Crossfield is a fly I've never heard of or seen before . It has great potential . I really look at flies with fishing in mind I must say .

Thanks for sharing Jens !!

(maybe one day I'll get off my butt and start posting some of these "experimental" flies I have stuck in the drying foam)

Hi Mike (and the rest of you that commented)

Thanks

Here is a little info.

The Crosfield fly (or in American spelling Crossfield) is an old classic salmon fly made by the Scotsman Shetney Crosfield on the bank of an Icelandic river a century ago.

Originally it was a featherwing fly (turkey with the teal on top) and the body was embossed silver tinsel. Today the underwing is grey squirrel and the body is silver mini flat braid.

regards

Jens

Mike

hey Bruce. :D We're gonna be in Washington state next May1st and 2ed for the FFF Washington State Council Conclave.......Ellensburg or Ellensville......?? Ellen somethin' or other i think it is........you gonna be there?

Mark,

At this point Ellensburg, WA is not on my schedule. I see that they are making it a 2 day event this year. When you are there you should fish the Rocky Ford if you haven't already and in Euphrata, WA there are some fine smallmouth bass lakes. Euphrata also has a neat cowboy museum you should stop and visit.

Bruce

We need a FTF Iceland Conclave and we can all fish the land of volcanos ... of course maybe we should just meet in the bahamas and fish bones .. <_<

nice icelandic flies jens

hope to getthere myself some day

what are the black hooks you are using jens

all the best

john

Just finished watching Henrik Mortensen's "Cracking the Code" again for the 1000th time :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: He's my hero !!

I priced out a week trip to Iceland last year :bugeyes: ...... looks like the kids will have to forget about college . Christmas and birthdays are cancelled for the next 10 years too .

Mike

Just finished watching Henrik Mortensen's "Cracking the Code" again for the 1000th time :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: He's my hero !!

I priced out a week trip to Iceland last year :bugeyes: ...... looks like the kids will have to forget about college . Christmas and birthdays are cancelled for the next 10 years too .

Mike

Hi Mike

I agree fishing in Iceland is not easy to get, but one might get lucky.

About Henrik Mortensen. He is just a normal Danish fly fisher :rolleyes: maybe a little above average <_< . Have you seen his new DVD "The Scandinavian Spey cast" ??

And to John

The black hooks are Partridge Bartleet doubles CS10/4 #8

Regards

Jens

Mike

Hi Mike

I agree fishing in Iceland is not easy to get, but one might get lucky.

About Henrik Mortensen. He is just a normal Danish fly fisher :rolleyes: maybe a little above average <_< . Have you seen his new DVD "The Scandinavian Spey cast" ??

And to John

The black hooks are Partridge Bartleet doubles CS10/4 #8

Regards

Jens

I don't have his latest yet , but it is on my list . I've been spending too much money on two-handers and reels :rolleyes:

If Henrik is average , I can't imagine what an excellent Dane flyfisher is like ......... that would make him a "GREAT DANE" :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

I need to go swingin' .....

Mike

Okay you're all going to hate me, but I have fished in Iceland a number of times. Actually, my avatar picture is from the last time I went in the summer of '07. The reason I go up so much is because my mother is from Iceland, and I have a lot of relatives up there. I do some salmon fishing with my grandfather. Up until last year, I was always under the impression that fishing in Iceland is REALLY expensive, BUT I learned some things last time I was there...

-Most rivers are rented out by the day by the farmers who own the land.

-The expensive rivers are the salmon rivers (and the best trout rivers)

-The governemtn owns a large chuck of land (obviously). Just recently, the government started issuing a sort of general fishing license to use for the entire country. There is a list of rivers and lakes where you can use the license, which costs about $100-200. I can't imagine these waters would be teeming with people, there's no way.

-There are great roads that go all around the country. There are tons of farms. Each farm has a sign describing what the farm does. Many of the farms cater to tourists--they offer cheap lodging, camping, FISHING, etc. Go to this website for complete info: www.farmholidays.is

To top it all off, the Icelandic Kronnur has radically diminished in value, so everything is really cheap in general in Iceland right now.

Not so much of a dream now is it?! :rolleyes:

Let me know if anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to help.