Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfred36

5 Minute Epoxy Alternative

Anyone have any ideas for an alternative for Epoxy?

Plan on tying alot of John Barr Patterns that use 5 minute epoxy and would prefer using some kind of altenative.

Only characteristic that I am looking for is a hard clear finish.

I have been using Loon UV Knot Sense with good results. I use it in place of epoxy on all types of flies. I use an alcohol pad to wipe off the tacky surface after curing it with a UV light or sunlight. Works good for me.

If you can't deal with epoxy, try either a couple of coats of Hard as Nails or nothing at all. Both will still catch fish, just doesn't look as cool as epoxy.

Plan on tying alot of John Barr Patterns that use 5 minute epoxy and would prefer using some kind of altenative.

Only characteristic that I am looking for is a hard clear finish.

Sally Hansons "Hard as Nails" works good for me,drys fast, harder than epoxy, and gives the same bubble shine even after you touch it (Two Cents)post-17930-1226520201_thumb.jpg

Thanks a ton guys. I will try both the Hard as Nails and the UV Knot Sense.

I appreciate you all taking the time and posting a reply!

I use E-Z SHAPE SPARKLE BODY a lot of times in Clear (fabric paint) The clear does has some sparkle flakes in it but the fish don't seem to mind..

EXO-FLEX I the one I us when I don't fill like using epoxy!!! just add it to the head, eyes or any thing else that you would like to do.

tyrite

You might consider trying "Tuffleye"

It is a pretty cool product. There was a write up on it in FlyTyer Magazine, in the Spring 2008 issue page 70.

We also had a fellow who sells it come out to our Fly Tying Club (Northern Lights Fly Tyers and Fishers) and do a presentation. its pretty darn cool.

Okay, so you have the product, and you dispense it from the bottle (no mixing), there are a couple of different tips for dispensing. Okay, so it comes out a kind of viscous stuff quit similar to working with Epoxy. However, you can play with it and mold it as long as you want.

Once it is where you want it, you shine a special LED flashlight (fluorescent) on it, and it instantly hardens. It comes out perfectly clear and doesn't stain like epoxy sometimes does.

An excellent alternative to Epoxy.

Here's a couple of fly pictures from their webpage.

post-17745-1226541412_thumb.jpg

post-17745-1226541406_thumb.jpg

The only bad part is that the initial cost is fairly high. So if you wouldn;t really use it very much. I would probably just stick with epoxy.

There are 3 different kits, including the product and the LED flashlight etc, prices ranging from $80 to $90 bucks.

Here is their webpage.

http://www.wetahook.net/index.html

Justin