Fly Tying
sniksoh

lets see your bass boxes!!!

this will be a good thing for people looking for new flies to tie along with the fly pattern database but this will also give people an idea of how everyone stores thier flies.

so post a pic of your bass box(s)

thanks,

sniksoh

I can't seem to find my larger fly box with poppers and other sub surface flies. My smaller box gives you a rough idea of what I use for bass.

this.jpg

As seen in the photo, I really like bunny fur.

Lots-o-bunny leach's, I feel these are some of the most productive flies you can use for bass any time of the year (at least here in colorado). I tie these in a variety of weights and colors. A nice slow, pulsing, retrieve to get the fur flowing and your in business. Sizes 4-8

Foam surface bugs- sizes 4-10

Subsurface bugs 4-10

I also use deer hair poppers, wool head sculpins, dragonfly dry/nymphs, and streamers most of which can be found on this site

As for my storage methods, I buy cheap fly box's, since I always seem to be dropping them and breaking lids or latches off.

I have found the best searching rig for me is like the hopper-copper-dropper rig. I use a large foam hopper/popper, followed by medium to light weighted bunny leach, and a smaller subsurface bug/streamer.

Nice looking group of flies! I like rabbit a lot too for bass flies!

Many of the bass flies I tie also do double duty for Striped Bass. I've got a couple of big Plano boxes full of bass & striper flies! Probably over 200 flies.

I need to get a camera! :huh:

Well I pretty much use these two boxes and only these two boxes for most of the season. Where I live and fish, the smallmouth only average ebtween 6 and 12 inches in length. Nothing huge but always fun. I included the smaller box as those are the 30 poppers I have tied so far this winter.

post-10276-1228701620_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1228701778_thumb.jpg

post-10276-1228701976_thumb.jpg

I usually have a lot more poppers and sliders, but they took a real hit last summer. I'll be replenishing those through the winter. Almost all of my bass fishing is for smallmouth in rivers, I I almost only chuck clousers, crayfish and poppers

post-18024-1228882559_thumb.jpg

post-18024-1228882630_thumb.jpg

post-18024-1228882689_thumb.jpg

post-18024-1228882741_thumb.jpg

post-18024-1228883221_thumb.jpg

Chris they all look good. What did you use to make the scales on some of the poppers? I have been trying to do that but I havent found something to use for it yet.

The ones with the scales are commercially made foam bodies... they suck! I wish i never bought them. I'm in the process of making new ones to replace then. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Chris they all look good. What did you use to make the scales on some of the poppers? I have been trying to do that but I havent found something to use for it yet.

get one of those hole punches at the leather store to do belt loop holes and use the smallest ones on a thick ziplock bag to use as a stencil.

Cheers Futzer.

Spray painting/airbrushing through Angel's veil/Bridal veil from a textile chain/store (eg. Fabric Land/ Canada) perhaps Micheal's/US should do the trick to achieve a very similar scale appearance. Various porosities available (fine,mid,coarse) Very affordable and simple to use. Wrap around popper head; tie with rubber band and hang to dry. Remove once dry, complete detailing and clear coat. :rolleyes:

Tight ties & lines

Jerome