Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishinbub

I need some good bass streamer patterns

Can you guys share a few of your large mouth streamers. I need some for our private pond. I'm going to pick up some stuff for clousers, what else would you guys recommend this time of year? Also what colored clousers are best for southern bass? Thanks,

Bub

Can you guys share a few of your large mouth streamers. I need some for our private pond. I'm going to pick up some stuff for clousers, what else would you guys recommend this time of year? Also what colored clousers are best for southern bass? Thanks,

Bub

One of my favorites is the Dahlberg Flashdancer in the original color and I do a bluegill coloration. Once the deerhair gets wet it sinks just below the surface and i strip it like i would a slug go. Great for over submerged weed beds. I also add a mono weedguard. Watch out though, the pickeral's love it too...so expect to lose a few.

Bub

One of my favorites is the Dahlberg Flashdancer in the original color and I do a bluegill coloration. Once the deerhair gets wet it sinks just below the surface and i strip it like i would a slug go. Great for over submerged weed beds. I also add a mono weedguard. Watch out though, the pickeral's love it too...so expect to lose a few.

could you post a pic of that fly or a link maybe?

thanks,

Sniksoh

Bub

could you post a pic of that fly or a link maybe?

thanks,

Sniksoh

http://books.google.com/books?id=85jo5CPwn...2Q76igKwKFfTX3A

Fishinbub-

Here's a few options depending on where you are in tying.

Chartreuse and black are good choices for stained water.

Chartreuse is a pretty good color for clousers pretty much everywhere, so that might be a good color to start with for them.

You might also want something that pushes a lot of water and has a lot of motion. A black marabou muddler might be a good choice. You can tie them weighted for use with a floating line, or unweighted to fish on a floater over weed beds, or with a sink tip and short leader to get deeper. The standard way of tying them uses spun deer hair (body hair not buck tail) for the head, but if you're new to tying you could use sculpin wool for the head which is easier to manage.

This is a good article on spinning deer hair for muddlers:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/l...s_muddlers.aspx

If you have trouble with the heads on muddlers, a simple marabou streamer is also good and an easy tie. It's just a body of tinsel, body braid, or wool, a wing of marabou (over some pearl Krystal flash if you want some sparkle), and a topping of a few strands of Peacock Herl over the wing if you want to get fancy. Black, yellow and white are good. The marabou breathes in the water, so you can get a lot of action even if you strip it slowly. You can also tie "clouser" versions using marabou instead of bucktail if you want some to get deep. (In smaller sizes with bead chain these can be good for crappie).

But if you are going to do a lot of bass fishing down the road, you'll want to learn how to work with spun deer hair to make things like Dahlberg Divers too. They float at rest, and you can blurp them along the surface, or strip fast to make them dive like a floating Rapala. All black, white, olive and yellow, are good oryou can get as crazy as you want like this one:

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/188

Hope this helps.

peregrines

Chartreuse and/or black woolly buggers

I have a instructional dvd with 6 of them click the link below

I checked it out and looks pretty sweet. I hope to buy a copy when budget allows. Gotta save money for gifts for family, I'm the oldest of four! :rolleyes:

what ever pattern you chose be sure you tie it in two sink rate varriations. When a front moves in the fish will slow and so must your bait. In 40 degree wheather and below all insects including crustacians like grass shrimp and crawfish are dormant. The bass this time of year are targeting baitfish and blugills.Also when fishing ,cover each likely spot with a fan of casts. If its cold and the bass is there ,he is not likley to move very far to take your fly. You must bring it right past his nose.

Fred

I bass fish some years, more than 100 days out of the year since I live on a "lake" (Florida retention pond ;) ). I haven't really found southern largemouths to be exceptionally finicky most of the time, but there are a few times of year that they require more finesse. You really can't go wrong with a Clouser deep Minnow or a Clouser Half & Half. That said, I'm an experimenter at heart and I rarely fish a Clouser. Are you more interested in increasing your catch rate or increasing your ratio of big fish? These two paths, IMO, don't perfectly overlap.

Maximizing your catch rate means using a fly that will appeal to the widest majority of fish, while going for big ones often means using something big enough to keep the juvenile bass off. For general "prospecting", I like to use a version of the marabou muddler I've previously posted on here. White large gap Gamakatsu or Owner hook. I tie it with and without weed guards. I will occaisionally use Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks when fish seem finicky. For example this time of year the fish seem to hit more on the stop and they are very quick to spit the fly. The slight kink in the Octopus circle allows you to strike if you want, but it also "snags" the mouth of a tricky fish even on a slack line. I will cast at a 30-45 degree angle to the shore and place the rod tip close top the ground and watch the curves of the floationg line for any indication of a hit - it's a neat trick if you know the fish are there but they are being problematic.

post-4245-1228271729_thumb.jpg

To increase your odds, you need to be aware of the specific forage available in the water bodies that you fish. In my area we have various panfish, shad, and lots of killifish and mosquito fish. My carry around kit includes some generic imitations of the bait. I didn't include a shad imitation, because it wouldn't show up too well against the background - Artistic license :rolleyes: A white deceiver works great as does a Popovics Hollow Fleye.

post-4245-1228272041_thumb.jpg

For big stuff, I like a sinking line or a heavily weighted fly which means using an at least an 8-weight. The big fish almost always stick close to cover so you need something weedless and a rod with backbone to get the big fish out. I've warmed up to zonker strip tails, deerhair heads and medium lead or tungsten dumbbell eyes. I use a 2/0 Gamakatsu SC15 or B10S stinger (among others) and include an in-line mono weedguard of #40 fluorocarbon. I initially though this was too stiff, but when a big fish wants to eat it is still soft enough to flex, but hard enough to drag through heavy structure. A few of the bigger fish flies.

post-4245-1228272832_thumb.jpg

This time of year I will settle for increasing my catch rate(as of right now my catch rate is very very bad). In the spring I hope to increase size. I plan to tie LOTS of clousers this winter.

It's a little colder up your way than down here, but I love bass fishing this time of year. Tie up some clousers and try those small white marabou minnows that I posted in the first picture. Fish them very slow with short strips (just a "wrists worth") and (2 sec) pauses. If you can't do muddlers, I could probably send you a few since we are entering the holday season. You just have to "pass it on" when you can. PM me you address if you want a few.

john

I bought some buck tail and bead chain eyes at bass pro. I tied three today and went fishing. Tied on a black/chart. sz 4 and lost in in three casts to a tire. Tied on an olive/chart sz. 4 and hooked up on the first cast. He hit it hard enough that it started coming apart. After fishing the third for a few minutes I headed home. Needless to say I tied a few clousers when I got home. :rolleyes:

I like rabbit strip wings for streamers, the material flows and moves constantly in the water.

Zonker type flys or Dahlberg/Muddler heads with rabbit strip.

Chartreuse and Black, Natural Brown, all White.

Sinking line or sinking leader/tip to get the fly deep in the water column.

Regards,

FK