Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Saltwater & Warmwater Tiers Poll

Natural or Synthetics?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use mostly synthetics in my saltwater tying. I think you can create a more realistic looking pattern with them. Still one of my most productive patterns is a combination of both materials. In terms of poppers and sliders, foam all the way.

I use a mix of both, but if I could have only one choice it would be natural. When they make a synthetic marabou, I'll be ready to change. For years I avoided marabou because it lacks the durability of other stuff. However, since I've been using it more and more over the past year I've changed my mind. Very few synthetics mimic it, and the ones that do are prone to tangles in my experience.

I choose natural. I maily fish for panfish and bass and love the rabbit the best. I am going to try some of artic fox since it looks to be a winner also.

Mike P.

It has alot to do with your target species / what you're slinging. I have almost no use for natural materials of any kind. Maribou/schlappen hackles and XXL bunny strips are about the only natural materials I keep around.