Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Paul vd Driesche

Lookin' 4 advise

Hey all,

I want to do a Hex nymph like the one in the picture below. I don't worry about building the beast itself but these critters have these specific breathing gills at the top half of the body......That is a problem.

There is nothing I can think of that will imitate these gills properly :crying: ....raffine doesn't do it for me...ostrich? don't think so. It has to look organic. <_<

Who thinks he has the material in mind that will do the trick? I will be forever grateful ;)

Greets Paul.

hexNymph.jpg

Hi Paul, First make sure it was ok with Jason at Troutnut to copy his copyrighted pic. Then do you want it to be super realistic or more natural? For Natural I have seen it done with very small ostrich plumes dyed brown. For realistic, and I have not done this but was thinking about it, Drawing them large on my computer, then reducing them with corel and printing to Laser transparency film.

Cheers, Jeff aka Futzer.

Paul,

Emu and Rhea may be of some use, they are structured just like ostrich but smaller and finer and both come in natural greys. The fibers should be of right size and tapered without losing the tip of the feather

Hey all,

Cool thing that you all are thinking with me on this....I really apreciate it.

Futzer, Since I only use this picture for referance I hope he will not mind that I use his pics.....they are simply the best you can have....awesome stuff on that site....they should teach this stuff in school if you ask me ;)

About using printed stuff....I wan't to keep away from that for as long as I can. I prefer something more organic.

Johan, I'm getting curious here ;)

Anyway....I have had imput from another tyer, we talked about feathers like ostrich and stuff like that but that is just not close enough when you look at the center of these gills so that will not be my way to go. He came up with another thing....I'm not telling anything yet :devil: ...but it's the best so far so I will try that and show the results here when it has come to life. I hope to come to it in the next few weeks. Untill then.....please...if you think you have another material in mind?...post it...(it's almost christmas which is the ultimate time for sharing anyway :yahoo: ) it just might be better than what I have now and it will really be apreciated.

Greets Paul.

not sure if this will help but looking closely at the picture the gills look like deer hides after the hair is cut off if you could cut some deer hair off of a hide then cut the hide thinner or find a thin skinned animal and cut the hair off then cut it to shape and tie into place might work for you I will try to post a pic later

Riffleriversteel...Is it Paul? it says so very small under "release a big one today etc" so I guess it is...anyway...I can see where your going with it and I do like the idea but it would have to be very thin skin from some furry critter and I can't think of what that would have to be....I don't want to kill anything for it so it will have to be in my tying materials already.

Fly Tyer Guy, cdc will look about the same as ostrich or any other underfeatherlike plum. this would surely work on other nymphs or for the fishing version but I want super realistic here so that's not going to do the trick.

Again...thanx 4 thinking with me here.

Greets Paul.