Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stel

Attn: Michigan Members

Can't believe it but summer is flying fast and soon the salmon are going to start entering the rivers. As most of you, if not all of you know, our rivers get pretty trashy during the fall and I know I really hate it.

Last summer a friend of mine noticed alot of trash at his favorite fishing hole. One day he brought down a garbage bag and left it there. A week later he came back and the bag was full and there was no garbage around.

Last spring I noticed something too. One of my favorite steelhead holes has one single trash can near the river. That hole never had any garbage laying around except for the occasional spawn sack on the ground. I fished this hole from Febuary til April. I do alot of fishing during the fall and spring and I have noticed that people are most lazy when there is no trash can or bag around.

This all got me thinking. Many of us sportsman try to pick up after others and make the rivers better for all of us. So here is what I am proposing. I just started a yahoo group for us outdoorsman who would go down to rivers, leave bags, and then pick them up. We can't all be on the river all the time so we would need different people in order to pick up the bags and leave a new one.

I am posting this on several other michigan fishing and hunting boards. To keep things in check and organized I have started a yahoo group that everyone can join up who is interested. If any moderators have a problems with this please let me know. If you'd like to help, join up there and post what rivers you could take care of. We need to get someone leaving them and then pickin them up so they don't become part of the problem every week.

If this works through salmon season, I am willing to keep it going through spring steelheading. Anyone interested can join here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRCCrew/

Please join me this fall in keeping our rivers trash free.

I know some holes that just get trashed, and just might give it a try. I know that up in Thornbury they have pails all along the river, but it still looks like a pig sty; Oh ya right, loogans.

Art

Anyone interested in helping out or will it just be me this year??

Everyone says it's a great idea but I am not seeing very much participation. To make this thing work people have to post on the forums I have provided. It won't take much out of your day to pick up a trash bag, dispose of it, and put a new one up for the next person to pick up.

Dan-

That is a great idea, and it's awesome that you are trying to get something started here. I would love to help out, but living in Saginaw won't allow me to do that. I do however, take out as much trash that I can handle when i walk in or when i have my float boat out.

Good Luck

That's alright, Dale. Join up and when you can either drop off a bag or pick one up post and then the next person in the area will pick it up and put out a new one.

Steve,

Way to jump in a lend a helping hand. thumbup.gif

With all the free time you curretly have the MI steams should be spotless. tongue.gif