Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tobbe1

Some Spey Patterns

Hi all!

I am new to this site and forum and i must say that I am verry impressed by all master tyers in here.

I am from Sweden and the atlantic salmon is my prey.

I thought I should post some pics in order to get some comments on them. Pleas be brutal i need to improve.

Oh Maby an admin can move this to the right part of the forum. Missed that sorry

post-18510-1231934497_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1231934518_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1231934537_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1231934556_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1231934575_thumb.jpg

Tobbe1 - nice selection of patterns. I especially like the Queen, Orange and Black and White one. I have just begun in the last year to tie spey style, so I am not qualified to give them any serious critique. I like the the effect of the minute strands of flash on the White One and the simple suggestive color of the Queen. For my inexperienced eyes, the first thing that jumps out at me is the size of the heads. I would work on tying the heads a bit smaller and tighter as I believe this is a signature aspect of spey style flies. I'm sure others will help out. I got some great suggestions and help with these flies this Spring for this site.

I like them all, they are sweet!!

The heads on all of them seem elongated, as if you tried to cover some blank space on the shank. I like the shape of the head, just shorten the length of them. The little bit of shank showing won't bother the fish and it will give you room for a riffle hitch if you use that knot.

It looks like you have the body hackle wrapped in front of the ribbing. It should be behind the ribbing....the fish won't mind but that is how it was traditionally wrapped.

Try to tie your bronze mallard spey wings to come slightly down the sides of the hook shank, right at the head.

Tightlines!!

Frank

Thanks for all the input. :rolleyes:

Ive made another one to see if I have done some progress in my tying. :unsure:

post-18510-1232114194_thumb.jpg

You've got it now Tobbe1 !! Very, very nice. The head is excellent!!

If you want a sparse look, try stipping one side of the hackle before tying it to the shank. Just an option for you to keep in your mind.

Hi all!

I am new to this site and forum and i must say that I am verry impressed by all master tyers in here.

I am from Sweden and the atlantic salmon is my prey.

I thought I should post some pics in order to get some comments on them. Pleas be brutal i need to improve.

Oh Maby an admin can move this to the right part of the forum. Missed that sorry

This is a nice colection of spey flies :headbang:

Ok thanks all for your thoughts and complements.

I must say that it is lovley getting feed back from you all.

My tying has improved thanks to you people. :headbang:

Hope you will like this one.

Its not easy to pleas a lady but i hav given it a try here Claudia!( thanks foryour advice it really helped

:yahoo:

post-18510-1232318838_thumb.jpg

These are very nice looking flies from a distance. Some of the details are a bit off like the heads which has been mentioned. Try for the smallest head you can get. Smaller than the last one and even the heads on this http://ronnlucassr.com/lesson4.htm lesson which I did a long time ago. You might take a look at it just to brush up.

All but your last fly were kind of sloppily tied. I have marked up these photos to show some of the areas that aren’t good. Spaces in flat tinsel, un even ribs, lumps in the floss, tie in and off areas and so on. All are easy to correct. Your last one has a bump in the floss but other than that, is by far the best of the lot. The wing comes down the side just right and sits low. You could even trim out some of the hackle under the wing to let it sit even lower. The head on that fly is good. I touched it up to show what I think most tyers try for. If you can get them just the way this looks consistently, you would be doing great.

Don’t get me wrong, the flies as fishing flies would likely be fine. Since you are posting and asking for feedback on them tells me you want more than that. It’s all about the basics and tiny details that make a good fly great.

post-1476-1232768578_thumb.jpg

post-1476-1232768590_thumb.jpg

post-1476-1232768608_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I am currently out of nice hackle :wallbash: but Ill post something when I am back at the bench. <_<

Ok thanks all for your thoughts and complements.

I must say that it is lovley getting feed back from you all.

My tying has improved thanks to you people. :headbang:

Hope you will like this one.

Its not easy to pleas a lady but i hav given it a try here Claudia!( thanks foryour advice it really helped

:yahoo:

Hej Tobbe.

Like a qween i lean back and gladly approve on youre pink panther. Must say i addore the colouration and the counter rib. well, pretty much every thing about it! glad you feel you took youre speytyin to the next levle, you sertanly did take a gigant leap in my eyes. Keep at it, and get some more good hackles so we all can see some more from youre vise. Now to some critics... (so people dont think i got soft ;) hehe

Tobbe, you need to pay more attention to the small details, i dont tell you to slow down, but to bee more in fokus of every turn that you lay up on a hook. the cris cross rib at the rear body needs to bee inline, that way you will get a natural flow that gives the eye satesfaction of a complet unit of harmony.

Björnkram C.