Fly Tying
rjo

How do you blend dubbing?

I'am knew to flytying, and on different patterns it says to blend dubbing from a hare's mask. How do you go about it, and also what' the best method? Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi RJO, In small amounts just clip the various mask areas you are after and mix them with your fingers, combine the fur, then pull it apart and repeat until evenly mixed. Making large quantities, use a small coffee grinder, the ones with a rotating blade, just plop in the fur and spin away for a few seconds. This works very well.

Cheers, Futzer.

I've always used a coffee blender...but when I do , I generally make ALOT so I have a good supply & I'll write down how much of what I'm blending so I can mix up more of the same if I need to.

I've always used a coffee blender...but when I do , I generally make ALOT so I have a good supply & I'll write down how much of what I'm blending so I can mix up more of the same if I need to.

I agree that the coffee grinder is the best method. You can also cut your mixture and put all in a container of water, stir around to mix the blend, drain and dry on a paper towel.

Sneak the coffee grinder and clean it accordingly before the wife sees it.

Sneak the coffee grinder and clean it accordingly before the wife sees it.

You know, I always hear people say that, but why would you use the same grinder for fur as for food? I own four coffee grinders, and didn't pay more than $20 for any of them, and suspect you get them for $15 if you look around. (For record, one if for dubbing, one is coffee, one is for dried chiles, and one is for other spices.)

Animal skins and furs are a known vector for anthrax -- as far as I know the only person in the US since post-9/11 scare to contract anthrax was a drum maker who got from handling skins -- as well as any number of other diseases (rabbit fever isn't just something made up Bugs Bunny made up to dissuade Elmer Fudd). Why take the risk for the price of a couple of pizzas? Just get a dedicated blender.

You know, I always hear people say that, but why would you use the same grinder for fur as for food? I own four coffee grinders, and didn't pay more than $20 for any of them, and suspect you get them for $15 i

Because you need the money for other cool stuff and the wife would probably take it anyway when she broke her! :wallbash:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information. The blender works great. Thanks again.