Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

Goose and Turkey Quills

I had a bunch of stripped goose and turkey quills lying around so I used some of them for a fly swap. The rest I turned into these. I liked the way they turned out so when I was browsing the local craft store I came across a bag of goose feathers. 25 for $4.95. Much nicer and larger quills than I had left. The top row and the last two were made from those.

post-309-1233365221_thumb.jpg

post-309-1233365239_thumb.jpg

post-309-1233365269_thumb.jpg

post-309-1233365354_thumb.jpg

post-309-1233365378_thumb.jpg

I agree . Very creative. With all the new synthetics out there , we forget just how much can be done with the materials that have been around for ever.

Fred

Nice return to an old classic popper. As Fred said this is pretty much a forgotten way to do poppers. I remember the frist ones I ever saw were my dads, and he simply lashed them to the top of the hook, and varnished them. Then he would wind a hackle at the back, and sometimes even strap on a few other feathers along the back. Cut some of the heads at an angle, before you make the next ones, and you can make a nice diving popper.

Hey philly use them on the Delaware above Trenton for tiger trout and schoolie stripers, should work..down and across "V" wake should get some..

As Utyer said a different take on an old popper. I tied a few using quills about 12 years ago and then forgot about them with all the things you can do with foam. I resurrected them for a panfish swap and decided to run with them after I finished those. The main difference between between these and the "classic" quill popper is the hook goes through the quill. I also stuff pieces of foam into the quill after I mount it on the hook. I'll do a couple diving ones in the next batch.

I tie in the tail and wrap the hackle. The build up of the thread and tail material makes a tight fit for the butt end of the quill. I'll put a drop of the thick Z-A-G and then slide the quill on. Let it set up, then start stuffing pieces of foam into the quill. Once that's done I add color with permanent markers. Coat the quill with a white glue. Once it dries tacky, I apply transfer foil. Do a bit more with the markers. Add eyes, then use a bit of softex to seal it. Last, I do two coats of a clear jig head finish.

These are two of the first ones I tied many years ago. I retired them after they caught close to 50 small snapper blues one afternoon. They're suprisingly tough. I used mylar tubing and 5 minute epoxy on the original ties.

post-309-1233450055_thumb.jpg

post-309-1233450142_thumb.jpg

I had a bunch of stripped goose and turkey quills lying around so I used some of them for a fly swap. The rest I turned into these. I liked the way they turned out so when I was browsing the local craft store I came across a bag of goose feathers. 25 for $4.95. Much nicer and larger quills than I had left. The top row and the last two were made from those.

Hi, Philly --

I bet if you wrapped some lead on those hooks first you would have yourself a killer shad fly, too.

-- ron P.

Ron:

Interesting idea to use as a shad fly. If I could get to the upper Delaware in late May or early June, I could use them as they are now to catch the shad on top.

Actually, they're mainly for the Wissahickon. I'm doing a smaller size one now that will be more sunfish size.