Fly Tying
Futzer

My last day to flyfish, who, what, where and how

I would like to know your last wish of fly fishing and tying, premise you know this is your last day ever, you have nearly unlimited resource to do this, you have plenty of time to plan and execute. Where do you go, who do you bring, what technique and fish are you after, and how do you execute. I re-live this dream in my sleep often and it is a bit absurd. Let me hear your dream. Nearly unlimited resources, dream big or die small.

Cheers Futzer.

My place to fish would be somewhere in Canada for some huge Pike on flies, I would take my closest friends from this forum.... you know who you are.

My place to fish would be somewhere in Canada for some huge Pike on flies, I would take my closest friends from this forum.... you know who you are.

Lovely Patrick, but embellish me, you have nearly unlimited resource. dream big my friend, dream big, Futzer

Back to Christmas Island for the 4th time. I am after the elusive 80 to 100lb trevally. So far, the largest one I have landed is between 50 and 55lbs and I am after the MONSTER. I want to bring whoever wants to go.

I can tell Dave and CheyAnne are lurking and have an idea. Cheers Futzer

Back to Christmas Island for the 4th time. I am after the elusive 80 to 100lb trevally. So far, the largest one I have landed is between 50 and 55lbs and I am after the MONSTER. I want to bring whoever wants to go.

Dave, I must ask, I have never been fortunate enough to go Christmas Is. it is in the middle of the Pacific. Tell me what is magical there for you. Thanks, Futzer.

Go to the florida keys and land huge (125-175 lb.) tarpon as well as bonefish on the fly rod. I'd like to do it on a fairly warm day were the tarpon are slurping smaller nymphs and crabs.

Go to the florida keys and land huge (125-175 lb.) tarpon as well as bonefish on the fly rod. I'd like to do it on a fairly warm day were the tarpon are slurping smaller nymphs and crabs.

Smallie F. who do you take? where in the keys? And correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen a nymph in Salt. lots of shrimp and little bite-y things, like sea lice, but no true nymphs. Dream man Dream. ;-) Futzer.

No particular place, but since you say so, I guess I will have to go with the shrimp and sea lice :rolleyes: . Ill Porbably take a couple guys off here and maybe my brother.

No particular place, but since you say so, I guess I will have to go with the shrimp and sea lice :rolleyes: . Ill Porbably take a couple guys off here and maybe my brother.

Dude we have to work on your dream potential, in a good way, you have a great start. Now sell me. I plan on posting mine here in a few days, it rocks, down to the take of the fish. Have fun. Jeff

Well here goes.... I was at my local fly shop and a Fly Fishing video caught my eye and I decided to buy it and check it out. See I have never been trout fishing in my life. The Video was called Trout Bum Diaries Volume 1. Some of you may have heard of it or seen it, if not, it is a great video.

These guys get together and go off to Patagonia Argentina and do nothing but flyfish for Trout for months. They are fishing mostly Wild waters and catching some huge Trout. They go through a lot of vehicle breakdowns along the way but really doesnt seem to lower their spirits and they just suck it up and FISH ON. It's like who cares if we're stranded along the road lets go see if there are any Trout in that stream over there.

These guys were not only fishing, but would pull out their tying gear and sit there and tie flies right ther stream side plus at camp at night by lantern and head lamp light as well as while stranded along side the road

After seeing that video, and I have watched it over and over I have almost wore the disk out, it has made me just want to pack up and take off.

Anyway that is my dream, and if you havent seen the video I highly recommend it you wont be sorry you watched it. Some of the places thses guys fished was just absolutely breath taking.

Probably a bit different than what everyone else is gonna say (exotic locations/exotic species from far away places)...but for me if it was my very last day ever of fly fishing - I'd spend the day right here in Michigan on the Au Sable probably fishing with my good friend Bob (OSD from these sites).

I know it's nothing exotic or wild..But The Au Sable is a river I dearly love and have great memories of since I was only a couple years old, and Bob's a great friend and my main fishing buddy. So if it was my last day ever to fish then I'd rather spend it on a river I love, with a good friend, which would be more important to me than going some where far off and exotic.

Steve

Well, I guess if I had the money I would pay for all you guys to fly over here. Then jump into some helicopters and fly into the middle of nowhere in the North or South Island, places where people have possibly never even fished. Then I would try and catch the "fish of a life time" on a dry (a nymph would be fine aswell, it's the fish that matters!) in the crystal clear water, and put him back to fight another day of course. Easier said than done though, those monster trout didn't get that big by being stupid :rolleyes:

Just some picture I found to give you an idea of what I'm thinking:

man-fishing.jpg

Yes, there's water in there!!

heli-fishing-large.jpg

The stream may look small but I bet it holds 10lbs+ trout

NewZealandFlyfishingatPoronuiRanch.jpg

Double%20figure%20Beasts%20003.jpg

Picture not of me :)

Good thread. I've thought about this, too.

Like a lot of others, I'm at the age where my ticket could be canceled any time

I'd go to one of the small familiar streams in N Michigan that I've fished for many years.

I'd fish like I normally do, a 3wt with some soft hackles and nymphs, a few drys. I'd fish a few familiar stretches, not hurrying at all, taking a few breaks to smoke a cigar and listen to the quiet. After fishing all day, I'd prop my rod against a tree at streamside, sit down and watch the sun set behind the hills, the sky get darker and watch the the stars slowly get brighter. I think that's the way it should be.