Fly Tying
Papasequoia

Lead foil

Does anyone here use lead foil from wine bottles instead of buying it? Is it possible to use as a wrap? Any advantages or disadvantages? Most wine bottles seem to have about the same thickness; what would that most resemble on lead foils or wraps you get from a fly tying supplier? Does the adhesive back on the lead foil/wrap you buy really necessary? Thanks for any insights.

Guest Big E

Lead capsules haven't been used on wine bottles since the early 90s...what you are using is most likely tin or aluminum.

Guest Big E

If you're drinking a $3k bottle of wine I doubt you'd care about ways to save money in fly tying.

:drunk:

Lead may be outlawed one day. It 's good your looking at alternatives . I use a metal duct tape

on some patterns. It is not as heavy as lead of course . But it is shinny and is good for baitfish patterns and has a very good adhesive. The best part is it is very inexspensive . You could buy a lifetime supply for under $10.

Fred

Papa

The Brits continue to use the foil from wine bottles to weigh their nymphs. Although the American wine industry has turned to plastic wrap, aluminum foil and twist-tops, I find that many of the European vintners continue to use a heavy foil. It may not be lead, but it is probably zinc-based and quite suitable for adding weight to your flies.

The red foil on the cap of a bottle of Grand Marnier, makes great midges. Just an FYI. Cheers, Futzer.

The red foil on the cap of a bottle of Grand Marnier, makes great midges. Just an FYI. Cheers, Futzer.

true, but is it worth the headache in the morning to tie a dozen zonkers? :wallbash: :wallbash:

Jeff quit telling them secrets only a few people even know what a Grand Marnier bottle looks like :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Well, that's strange now that you mention it. When I was listed as a "bait fisherman" here ( <10 posts ) I had no idea what Grand Marnier was. But when I became listed as a "beginner" I got this mysterious flyer in the mail that said, "Try Grand Marnier today. It's delicious to sip while tying flies." I can only wonder what marvels await that day when I make (dare I say it?) "advanced member." Maybe a one dollar off coupon for Grand Marnier? yahoo.gif

Just kidding around, of course. Funny replies, thanks for the laughs. It is strange to see that there are only three levels on this forum. Someone has over 11K posts and still just an "advanced member?" Nevertheless, for us newbs still trying to tie off a parachute adams without trapping the hackle in the whip finish, well, we go through the same hazing everywhere...

noobgun.jpg

Thanks for the chuckles. ;-) Jon