Fly Tying
RJD31

Cheaper alternatives to Mustad, TMC, etc.?

Guest Tony P

I saw some others posted about The Fly Shop & Cabelas hooks. I know that both Cabelas & The Fly Shop uses the Targus OEM Program for tying materials, rods, & reels so it wouldn't surprise me if those are Targus hooks.

Tony P

Been using eagle claw for a while now less than $8.00 A hundred. You get a few bad ones but other than that they are ok , the problem is finding them other than on line. I also have been using saber hooks about $7.00 a hundred, (from big meadowsfly shop), no problems and the quality is good,similar to togen Also Diachi from, canadian llama, a little over $10.00 a100. I tie and donate a lot of flies so the less I pay for them the better, especiall being on a fixed income and a 401k that is now a 201k.

I like the Dai-Riki and Daiichi hooks. I also use Tiemco, Mustad and Eagle Claw. I would have to say right now my favorite is the Daiichi, particularly their 1260 beadhead hook and the 1190 barbless dry fly hook. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

http://www.thefishguy.net/hooks.htm Absolutely the best hooks for the price............don't let the "cheapness" scare you away. I've compared his Kobe brand hooks to diachi's and their incredible.....the fish guy is top notch. Oh by the way i have no affiliation with him or his website, just a very very satisfied customer. I landed over 12 steelhead during spring break with his hooks ranging from size 12 nymph to size 8 4x egg sucking leeches. He's got great prices on bead heads of all sizes as well.

Give his hooks a shot. http://www.thefishguy.net/hooks.htm