Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rich mc

alpaca wool

Guest rich mc

i finally picked up a large baggie of assorted alpaca hair from a local farm. i posted about trying alapac last fall. i tied up a few small leeches similar to the mohair leech patterns. i sink tested them and they look great. the hair is fine and about 3inches long.

also found out there are different breeds of alpaca with different type coats. one has natural dreadlocks which can be longer. colors i have are black, dull white and a light brown. should be able to cast them friday. rich

My neighbors have a couple of Llama and maybe an alpaca or two. My wifes teaches one of their kids and mentioned that I would like some wool to tie with. The woman thought my wife meant that I would like ALL of the wool that they produce.. apparently she can't get rid of it. I think maybe she hasn't tried hard enough or she has alpaca that do not produce textile quality wool. If I get all of it I will be sure to let everybody know. :o

Roy

Guest rich mc

the colors i have are all natural. the lady that gave me the hair said that it takes dye well. rich

My neighbors have a couple of Llama and maybe an alpaca or two. My wifes teaches one of their kids and mentioned that I would like some wool to tie with. The woman thought my wife meant that I would like ALL of the wool that they produce.. apparently she can't get rid of it. I think maybe she hasn't tried hard enough or she has alpaca that do not produce textile quality wool. If I get all of it I will be sure to let everybody know. :o

Roy

Llama and Alpaca wool is great for fly tying. One fleece will fill up a box 2 feet square. I know because I bought one for my daughter since she spins wool and then knits into various products. After she cards the wool prior to spinning she gives me the rejects including the guard hairs. The stuff floats even when saturated and I use it all the time for both nymphs and dry flies. The wool can be great quality for knitting but needs to be carded and washed which is time consuming. You can have it done professionally but that is expensive.