Fly Tying
Andrés T

fishable river shrimp

Hello all,

a very easy pattern. The step by step is going to be published at Spanish Danica mag.

it is tied onto a daiichi 1150, size 14. It is 1,5 cm. long.

Hope you like it.

post-12648-1237824321_thumb.jpg

post-12648-1237824337_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

a very easy pattern. The step by step is going to be published at Spanish Danica mag.

it is tied onto a daiichi 1150, size 14. It is 1,5 cm. long.

Hope you like it.

I do like it! Well done, Andrés. I also like the fact that it's fishable. :) In the states, I would fish that in small sizes as a scud or fresh water shrimp. The colors are actually perfect for some North Eastern waters.

Best,

Bruce C

Hey Andres,

It looks nice but doesn't it swim hook point up? I think the point with the lowest water resistence will be the back of the fly. That on top of the shape of the hook looks like it will flip the fly upsidedown.....am I right?

We had a discussion about that same problem regarding seatrout flies on our Dutch forum....what do you think?.....might be interesting ;)

Greets Paul.

Hi Bruce, thank you.

Once R.H.B. told me that normally fly fishermen do not pay to river shrimps the attention they deserve ( at least in Spain this is true).

Smalliefanatic, thank you.

Fiahermansfly, thank you, a hook, foam, rubber, two ostrich feathers, and a "Realistic Shrimp Shield", Thread of course.

Hi Paul, you are right, many nymph patterns go down the other way round. This is due to the lead and how fishermen tie it onto a hook. The main objective is to make the pattern sink fast and remain at the bottom to fish there (and they fish).

When I started thinking about this pattern I had two objectives: first, they must sink slowly, as much as I could, like a real one. Second, they must sink in the sight position, with its legs downwards. You can see at the next pic how it rests at the bottom of a glass, full of water, and this is also important as you can find shrimps at still waters.

This is why I use foam instead of lead wire for this pattern.

post-12648-1237855358_thumb.jpg

Ok....so the part above the hookshank is partly foam? That would make the hookpoint turn down.....it sits perfect on that bottom....no doubt about that....nice job.

Greets Paul

Hi Andres, I really like your tie. May I ask what material are the tentacles, and how thick is the realistic shrimp back? It looks thicker than most everything I can get. I am thinking a salt-water version for the Yucatan. And a tiny one for the Green River.

Cheers, Futzer.

Hi Futzer, I am happy you like the shrimp. Tentacles are elastic cord 5 mm.; the one girls use to make necklaces and bracelets. It is tied onto a Teklon 7600 BC, nº 1. I also used foam to build up an internal body, as in the previous one. Feathers from a hackle and "Shrimp Realistic Shield" which I hope to commercialize under that name.

Using long elastic cord as tentacles gives the pattern a tempting movement into the water while you play it. Tiny flies for rivers and big ones in the sea are fish catchers.

Cheers, Andrés.

Hi Andreas

I would like know where you buy the "Shrimp Realistic Shield" .

I like very much your shrimp; I would like know if you can send

a sampple because I would like to present for next season of our

S.M.P.M. (Societé des pêcheurs à la mouche de la Mauricie).

michel