Fly Tying
mahaney

Fly Testing

I'm just starting to "think" about tying flies and was wondering if you guys have a way to test your flies before taking them to the stream. I was looking at my fish tank the other day and thought you could suspend a fly in the water in front of a powerhead to see how it looks both underwater and how it reacts to current. Kinda the same idea as a wind tunnel... Just a thought, anyone ever bother with something like that?

-Jim

For new patterns, I'll usually take a large mouthed, clear glass filled with water, and check to see both how they float, and how they look from underneath.

If you follow proportions reasonably accurately and are able to position materials on the hook without them wandering or skewing, you should have fairly decent 'tests'.

Hey mahaney, i bought a small jet for my fish tank... i dont have any fish in it..wink.gif but i do use it to test the float on dry flys, the action of the buggers an the dive of the nymphs... you'd be surprized.. you get alot of ideas for new materials an styles ... helps me Jake

There is a pricey little gadget out there that does this within certain limitations. It's called Kalax or something like that. There was a thread on the product here a few months back.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...&hl=fly+testing

It consisted of a pivoting clear cylinder with an adjustable jet to control "current" speeds. That way you could see if your flies would spin or ride true in certain current speeds.

The testing would me limited in my opinion however this gizmo would give you somewhat of an indication of what the fly would do underwater. Plus, if you are willing to dish out the $199 USD (approx) it's a pretty cool bench accessory (so I'm told) dunno.gif

Just watched the "long version". Very impressive! Patent should be granted. FTF gets royalties? Lot'a hits coming from this. Not everyone who ties even fishes and it would be useful.

Out of my reach at the moment. Stream testing has been the most successful for me. Something is always out there looking at the offering.

That's a pretty fancy gadget. I was thinking more along the lines of a 10 gallon tank and adjustable powerhead. Probably could do the set up for ~$30. Of course the $200 dollar version would look a lot nicer on your bench!!

-Jim

Checking fly action under water is important, especially for new patters. A bath tub is a cheap way to watch how marabuo reacts to differnt stripping speeds. Also seeing how the colors change when a fly is wet is pretty amazing. Your idea of a powerhead in a fish tank, comparable to a wind tunnel, is a brilliant idea.

Graham