Fly Tying
Silver Bullets

Fly Tying Bench

I have been looking throught the net looking at some bench set ups, mine currently is just a old computer desk, vise and a big mess of feathers and stuff(in bags tho) i was wondering if some of you could post a picture of your bench so i could get some ideas!

Thanks,

Cody

thanks for the link, i like CaptEd221's desk... hehe dont feel bad OSD, i gotta pic up bags of feathers and stuff to find my tools half of the time... i will be upgrading soon i hope!

Actually, here's two older pictures of my flytying desk. Has been reorganized (kinda sorta). For now, until I get my own den (once I move) I'm using my "early inheritance" roll top desk. Of course I staged the photo and sorta cleaned everything up (any true fly tying area should have feathers and supplies laying around lol). Have more of the supplies I use in abundance out where I can reach them (may take a new picture, not that much has changed, but some). Plus, in both pictures below I showed my pictures of vise on desk, then vise on portable desk. Now I just leave it always on the portable desk. That way I have alot of stuff always at hand for tying. I do have my ultimate tying station in my head, for that day I get my own room to tie in. Here's my pics of what I'm running now. (except the renzetti tube is LONG gone and an HMH is about to be sitting in it's place)

user posted image

user posted image

I have refinished Boxes from Ikea (discontinued now I hear)

and placed them on a desk my Late Uncle made.

I am considering puting a handle on top and hinges on the side so two boxes can be folded face to face and transported back and forth to the cottage.

What do you think? cool.gif

Cheers

Duff

user posted image

Yeah, Duffin... I went looking for those boxes and I couldn't find'em... sad.gif

I really would have liked those! They look real nice! Good Job!! wink.gif

Duffin, you are an embarrassment to serious slobs everywhere! wink.gif (I think the only way I could ever straighten my $#!thouse mess up is to blow it up and start over! - no there aren't any pics- trust me, it's a disaster! dry.gif )

The idea of mating boxes is great, but how do you mitigate the aggravation of removing drawer knobs? looks like you'd need to let in a finger pull slot in the face of each drawer or modify the top front edge with a grab slot.

Actually DF, the drawers in the boxes come with a cut out finger pull at the top edge. I turned the drawers around and got antique brass knobs from Lee Valley and installed them on the back. I reasoned that I could balance the aesthetics vs. the trouble to remove a few knobs (12) for the times I would travel with it, but the option is still there.

The boxes (now discontinued) retailed at $14. Can. and started on sale at $7.99 ea

I could not get them on sale as they were constantly sold out.

An interested party in the States I know, has just found some on E-Bay so that may be the place to look in future. I originally looked for a roll top desk but decided that kind of money could buy a whack of fur and feathers

(or a new 3 wt. hehe)

And although I am an embarrassment for other reasons, I am not that neat believe me! devil.gif

Cheers All!

Duff

After seeing DB bench on another site, I went in search of Moppis but no luck. Ikea does have another/ same product called the FIRA though. Does the trick for me!! Thanks DB for the great tip!!

Art

I'm using an old comp desk too... I've added a few pieces to it though.. thread rack, tool holster and a peice of wire across to hang flys on... just need a place for materials.. blink.gif I'm workin on it cheers.gif

vices,

I used to use a piece of wire for drying/hanging flies as well but I got tired of hunting down flies that twanged off of the wire. I went to a craft store and got a 3' self adhesive mag strip and just hang them there. Much easier and safer.

Art