Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crappietyer

Beginner question

Wanting to learn using mylar...how to? Tried cutting to length and removing lining but it just came unraveled...is this how you use it or do you wrap instead? Any help

Thanks

Mylar tubing can be a little bit frustrating. Here's a tip I learned many years ago-

Use some Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, or other cement which stays somewhat flexible and is clear. Determine the length of mylar tubing you need, and paint a ring of cement around the tubing where you will cut it. Let the cement dry, then cut it. The cement will help keep the ends from unraveling. If you use too much, or a cement that dries hard, it will be difficult to tie it in tightly. You will need to experiment a little to get it just right. Also, unless it might get crushed and permanently damaged, I usually remove the core from an entire length of tubing, if possible. If you try to use the cement trick, it could glue the core to the tubing, giving an extra headache.

heres 2 ways of attaching mylar tubing to the rear of the hook: frayed and un-frayed

frayed

body3.jpg

simply cut the end of the tubing square, cut the tubing to hook shank length and gently pull out the core fibers. GENTLY insert the open end of the tubing over the hook eye and position the open end at the waiting thread. push the tubing beyond the thread so that the tubing starts to fray. tie down this end and hand whip finish or half hitch. cut off thread. add a little head cement to the thread area.

un-frayed

body1.jpg

simply cut the end of the tubing square, cut the tubing to hook shank length and gently pull out the core fibers. GENTLY insert the open end of the tubing over the hook eye and position the open end at the waiting thread. tie down this end and hand whip finish or half hitch. cut off thread. add a little head cement to the thread area.

body2.jpg

reattach thread at the eye of the hook and tie down the tubing. trim off the frayed ends and finish the fly.

thread color is either black or red, but its your choice.

i used a small size mylar tubing. if you are going to use a larger diameter tubing, you will want to build up an under body before tying in the tubing. this will fill out the body. just make sure the tubing will slip over the body. different color under bodies can influence the final color of the body especially when using pearl colored tubing.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try this again...maybe it's due to using such a small hook and short length of mylar. I'm trying to tie on a 1/124 #10 hook. I want to replicate a very small minnow or shad type baitfish.