Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jwilson

ebay's best deal?

I would select a few patterns in accordance to your ability level for the type(s) of fish that you will be pursuing, and buy the necessary materials to ultimately tie them. Kits usually contain a fraction of what you need, and also consist of materials that you will never use.

Ron

What the others have said. Don't buy a kit!!

Select your best flies or the best local flies and put togeather the materials to tie those. Far better to do that than have materials lying around from a kit that won't use.

Ashley

As a fairly new tyer myself, being tying for about 5yrs now I can understand what the others are saying about getting stuff you may not need right now but on the otherhand I think it depends on what you have to pay for the ebay item. If it is cheap enough it might not be a bad idea. Look at the list that they provided and see if any of those materials fit your needs. For me I looked at what the bid was and then looked to see what was in the kit. For example the deer hair, the hooks, the chenile,and the squirrel would be worth it to me because I know how much I have spent on those items buying them seperate at the fly shops. Plus this auction has a return policy, if you get it and it doesn't have the selection you thought it should for the price then send it back. Just another opinion. :rolleyes: