Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dryfly purist

My favorite mayfly

My absolute favorite mayfly is the "Meltglue Aurivilli"

This fly was introduced to med by a friend called Preben, and i was kind of sceptic because it has no dubbed body only tread.

It`s ingredients are Polychenille (burned with a ligher), Polyyarn (wings), melt glue and hackle.

I tied a few just to try and did not believe that it would work. MAN WAS I WRONG :D

The profile on the water was amazing and the trout took it as it was no tomorrow :D ..... i guess the split wing profile combined with the polychenille body triggers the

trout to rise.

The tread underneath the thorax is also a trigger because i use some varnish or some superglue to make a shiny look for the thorax.

My box is filled with the melt glue mayfly in different sizes and colors and still surprises me to this day. I just can`t live without this in my flybox :)

Terje!

post-19753-1241822219_thumb.jpg

Interesting! What's the hot melt glue for- to keep the wings separated?

Chuck

Hi Chuck.

The melt glue is a as you said for spreading the wings.

The thing is that you tie in the wing flat as a spent spinner. Then you tie in a hackle.

You take a piece of melt glue and warm it up with a lighter and take the tiny warm melt glue piece and lay in on top of the hook in the center of the

wings. Then you take the hackle and make a couple of turns under the melt glue. Now you have to do the hackle quite fast before the glue gets to stiff, and while

using the hackle the wings rises to become as shown in the picture.

It`s quite easy if you`re a bit fast and you have a simple mayfly that has a great profile on the water from the trouts point of view (and mine of course :D)

PS. With a drop of cdc oil rubbed in to the hackle and wings, it floats like hell and keeps a perfect profile on the water cast after cast.

Terje!

Nice looking pattern, and a great method of tying it. I will have to try a few. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking pattern. When you are wrapping the hackle do you wrap it under the wings? What is the hook? I have enjoyed your photography and your flies. Very innovative. thanks freddyg

Thanks a lot guys :)

freddyg:

The wings are tied in on top of the hook with the polyyarn to both sides as a spent wing.

After putting a drop of melt glue in the center of the wings and on top of the hook, the hackle is wrapped under the melt glue and under the wings. When doing this quite fast and tight before

the melt glue gets to hard the wing rises by themselves. I usually use one hand to press the wings up an wraps the hackle with the other hand. That makes it even easier to get the wings

in the right position.

The hook is a tmc 2487 #12 but also often use the tmc 102Y #13.

Terje!

Great pattern Terje :D

I am glad you shared this one. I am going to reserve a front row for it in my dry box.

Come to think of it I might have to invest in another fly box ;)

Great pattern Terje :D

I am glad you shared this one. I am going to reserve a front row for it in my dry box.

Come to think of it I might have to invest in another fly box ;)

Thanks a lot Mr fly_fischa :D

I can promise you that the melt glue Aurivilli works great, but remember to use some cdc oil or other floatant.

The profile it makes on the water is amazing, and the split wings are super triggers :)

Terje!