Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Lemon/Lime Dahlberg

Ya gotta love those bass bugs, fur strips can really change up the action, nice tie

Just don't trim the rabbit hair strip too short or you lose the action. There is turbulence coming off the head of a Dahlberg Diver but the commotion happens a ways behind. If the tail is too short is doesn't move around as much.

Nice job of packing BDH, beautiful work. Do you use flexament or head cement on the body ?

Bruce,

the first Dahlbergs I tied, I followed the pattern and used hackle feathers...loved the diving/plopping action, but hated the tail...was told to used a zonker strip and , just as Steve says, leave it long to catch the down force of the deer head.....love the Dahlberg's "dancing" effect with the zonker stip

Steve, I do occassionally use head cement to toughen the head, but I also leave them alone to allow them to take on more and more water.....Some of the best fish I have taken on Dahlberg's have been on saturated flies that were just barely surfacing...a much more subtle presentation, but highly effective, especially when the fish are really lazy due to higher water temps and low O2. Sometimes, the more subtle the presentation, the greater the results....

This is not a showcase fly by any means, was just adding things to the database to expand it for our beginners...but thanks for the comments fellas!

Bruce,

the first Dahlbergs I tied, I followed the pattern and used hackle feathers...loved the diving/plopping action, but hated the tail...was told to used a zonker strip and , just as Steve says, leave it long to catch the down force of the deer head.....love the Dahlberg's "dancing" effect with the zonker stip

Steve, I do occassionally use head cement to toughen the head, but I also leave them alone to allow them to take on more and more water.....Some of the best fish I have taken on Dahlberg's have been on saturated flies that were just barely surfacing...a much more subtle presentation, but highly effective, especially when the fish are really lazy due to higher water temps and low O2. Sometimes, the more subtle the presentation, the greater the results....

This is not a showcase fly by any means, was just adding things to the database to expand it for our beginners...but thanks for the comments fellas!

Thanks! The reason I ask, I use some head cement on the bottom of the fly but leave the rest of it alone. I know it will eventually get waterlogged, but what's the big deal with clipping it off and tying on a "fresh" one? I'm convinced I get more hookups with a deer hair bug that is setting down in the water, than I do with a cork, plastic, or foam bug that sits on the surface film. I think the Bass is pushing a "bow wave" in front of him as he attacks the bug. I've seen Bass push the bug right out of the way and miss it entirely. That doesn't happen to me with a deer hair bug.

Two more days and then Bass season opens in Minnesota! I can hardly type, I have the shakes so bad.

I have known fellas who swear sealing the TOP of the fly allows the fly to take water, but helps trap air within the hair....sounds plausible, but don't know if it's scientifically correct...I do know that the ones I seal seem to last much longer...I fish hair bugs I tied literally 6 or 7 years ago....I have found the key to such longevity is to allow the fly to properly dry before storing it back in a fly box, but that holds true for most flies anyway...Anyone else have any thoughts on sealing hair bugs?

I have known fellas who swear sealing the TOP of the fly allows the fly to take water, but helps trap air within the hair....sounds plausible, but don't know if it's scientifically correct...I do know that the ones I seal seem to last much longer...I fish hair bugs I tied literally 6 or 7 years ago....I have found the key to such longevity is to allow the fly to properly dry before storing it back in a fly box, but that holds true for most flies anyway...Anyone else have any thoughts on sealing hair bugs?

Dave Whitlock recommended applying fly dope with a hair dryer to literally melt it into the bug. Do it 2x. I haven't bothered myself, I like spinning deer hair too much to bother to try and keep one floating(ie, there's always another one in the box), but it sounds reasonable, if labor intensive. So it's not so much "sealing" them but I'd bet they float awhile. Never tried dunking a deer bug in RainX either though it works well on trouty bugs....

Have never heard of the "Rain X" waterproofing....sounds like it would work just fine....I have sprayed the beejesus out of dry flies with 3M Scotchgaurd...had mixed results...but Scotchgurd works great on deer hair flies!

Nice diver Hub, good color pattern as well. I always have really good luck with green colored flies. Kinda funny since it is considered, by many, to be one of the least effective colors to use on largemouth.

Funk,

I have heard the same thing my entire life...green and yellow don't work...but it does, at least in the waters I fish :dunno:

Futzer,

Funk,

I have heard the same thing my entire life...green and yellow don't work...but it does, at least in the waters I fish :dunno:

Futzer,

I'd keep telling them that there right ...green and yellow doesn't work... and keep that secret for myself. :devil: