Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tmatt26

dont know what this is.

ok i know this section is for bugs but i catch these little fish all the time and dont know what it is.

post-19670-1242845680_thumb.jpg

I think it's a juvenile Red Breasted Sunfish.It wont get a lot bigger but the colors of an adult male are really something.On the adult male he would go from dark on top to a very deep red breast with white tips on the outer fins and turquise facial stripes.

Fred

I think it's a juvenile Red Breasted Sunfish.It wont get a lot bigger but the colors of an adult male are really something.On the adult male he would go from dark on top to a very deep red breast with white tips on the outer fins and turquise facial stripes.

Fred

thanks Fred.

If you're fishing Ky waters, it's more than likely a Warmouth. Warmouths have that overall purple luster, typically purple over olive, bronze or gold. The orange / red near or on the gill flap is also a key identifier. They are fierce little predators, rarely reaching over 6 inches in most of the waters here in the Bluegrass, but the world record is just over 2 lbs. They are often found in the same habitat as Rock Bass, prefering to linger under and between rocks as ambush points...they will attack anything they can get in their mouths. They will often hold in only a few inches of water, close to the bank, but unde the edge of rocks. They are very pretty in an aquarium with a black light, but will eat anything else you put in it!

Those blue streaks on the face make me think it might be a pumpkinseed gill

it could be .longear, red breast and pumkinseeds all have those facial markings. Its hard to tell . In their juvenile colors they are all very similar. A juvenile female is even more so.

Fred