Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullets

eels and brook trout?

yesterday, i was up at the deep hole(as most of u know from my picture) and i knew there was a big trout in there, well i was standing on the hill and i seen it, so i dropped my worm(i know i know, ur thinking why wasnt it a fly rod lol) right where he was, i got him once and he fliped over and then got off the hook, i put the worm there again and i noticed something a little diffrent? it was a 15 inch eel bugeyes.gif after fooling with the barbed hook(i think i'm gonna go barber less) i finaly got him off the hook and put him back in the water....

I was wondering if that eel may eat the little trout, or cause any damage to the hole?

SB,

How big was the brook trout you initially hooked? We have limited quantities of freshwater eels here in Ontario although I've never seen one in a trout stream.

Does the stream you are fishing flow out to salt water? If so the eel you observed may be a migratory fish dunno.gif .

yes, it does go into saltwater but there is no way that eel could have made it up that far, well the brookie i got on the fly rod was 3 inches, yesterday i got one with a worm and it was 5 inches, and i got two 6 inch brookies just down the stream a little bit..... it is the biggest eel i have ever seen(well seen bigger in pictures) but?

I dunno if i should let it be or take it out of there?

It's surprising how far eels can migrate. If I remember correctly, I read about eels which used to migrate from the Atlantic Ocean into Lake Ontario through the St. Lawrence River and then further on up into Lake Ontario tribs. Needless to say dams put and end to that.

I have seen a couple of eels in midsummer in the oshawa creek, a creek that runs into Lake Ontario.. they dont seem to stick around soon as the run begins.. and the futhest i have seen them go is only about a 1000 yds up the river

There are lots of eels in the brooks around nova scotia this time of year if the water system has Gaspereau in there, the gaspereau fry are in the brooks and the eels come up to feed on them, i've seen 20 - 30 eels in pools no more than 6 feet accross and a foot and a half deep eating the fry as they came down stream.

not sure if they would chomp on trout or not

on an interesting note eels are a catadromous species, that is they migrate to the ocean to spawn. all eels spawn in the sargasso sea and migrate back to the fresh water streams to live.

-T

I wouldn't worry about the eels. They are natural part of the stream. They do feed on live fish but they mostly eat dead or dieing stuff. Anyway if it does eat any of the trout it'll be the weaker ones.

Here's some info on eels, pretty interesting.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/anguillidae.html

Brian.