Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Red and Green Carrie Special

Hey Guys,

I am just wanting to know if anyone has tied these before. My dad has used them alot for trout and made me a believer when i trolled a local lake and got my limit in an hour. I am almost positive this is the name of them.

Thanks, Loren

post-22289-1247544812_thumb.jpg

Looks like Carey Specials to me, but I'm not familiar with the pattern. Bet some of the others are though. According to this site, the pattern is best know in Western Canada, which isn't that far from you. Regardless, if your Dad recommends them and you caught your limit in an hour, I'd tie a bunch up. Be sure and post the pics.

Mike

since im not too familiar with materials, can anyone tell me what they used? it looks like they just wrapped thread around the shank, tied in some type of feather, added some tinsel, and its done.

Click on Mike's link. If you scroll down, there is a chart with all of the variations and the materials used in each. Mostly pheasant and dubbing.

Deeky

where do you find pheasant flank feathers? Does that come with a complete pheasant skin?

Mike

where do you find pheasant flank feathers? Does that come with a complete pheasant skin?

Mike

Yeah thats a good question if anyone knows please reply. If so in can get the colmplete skin for 10 bucks. Roby

seems to me like a threadjack! lol, what do you mean by connected to the skin? i have heard of people calling the skin the part that the feather fibers are attched to?

Loren

seems to me like a threadjack! lol, what do you mean by connected to the skin? i have heard of people calling the skin the part that the feather fibers are attched to?

Loren

Im not sure but i think what he means by skin at least i meant by skin is that the whole pheasent is still intact with every feather. They have them at sportsmans for 10 bucks. Roby

that's what I meant, the entire bird skin, which I can get from some local pheasant hunters in the area. Pheasants are a plenty here in my neck of the woods.

I got a couple a year ago and still have a bunch of feather from them. I'm not exactly sure what the "flank" refers to as far as the feathers on the bird. I'm assuming that flank refers to the sides of the bird ??

Mike

The Carrie Specials I tie up have a pheasant tail tail, Peacock hearl body, gold wire ribbing and a collar of pheasant tail fibers. To make the collar you can either put the pheasant tail fibers in a dubbing loop and palmer the collar, or you can try to evenly distribute the individual fibers around the hook and tie them in. Its a great stillwater fly.

The Carrie Specials I tie up have a pheasant tail tail, Peacock hearl body, gold wire ribbing and a collar of pheasant tail fibers. To make the collar you can either put the pheasant tail fibers in a dubbing loop and palmer the collar, or you can try to evenly distribute the individual fibers around the hook and tie them in. Its a great stillwater fly.

i know there is a how above but it doesnt show how to do the pheasant feathers on the front. im a beginner so i dont know too terribly much. thanks

Loren

i know there is a how above but it doesnt show how to do the pheasant feathers on the front. im a beginner so i dont know too terribly much. thanks

Loren

Loren,

I will try and explain what I do. I tie mine in by the tip of the feather. Take a flank feather and hold it by the stem in the wet fly position over your hook with the stem to the rear of your hook. I tie everything away from me over the top so I would remove the barbs on the far side of the feather. I then stroke the remaining barbs back and and clip off the tip and tie in by the tip. I wrap away from me and carefully stroke the barbs to the back.

The reason I remove one side is because the barbs on the underside of the wrap have a tendency to splay out at odd angles instead of laying flat along the body.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Loren

Loren,

I will try and explain what I do. I tie mine in by the tip of the feather. Take a flank feather and hold it by the stem in the wet fly position over your hook with the stem to the rear of your hook. I tie everything away from me over the top so I would remove the barbs on the far side of the feather. I then stroke the remaining barbs back and and clip off the tip and tie in by the tip. I wrap away from me and carefully stroke the barbs to the back.

The reason I remove one side is because the barbs on the underside of the wrap have a tendency to splay out at odd angles instead of laying flat along the body.

Hope that helps.

Rob

thanks Rob, i will try to tie one tonight.

Loren