Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
silverbullet32

Red and Green Carrie Special

here, i attempted a carey special. i know the body is a little bit out of proportion and the head is too big but this is my first one. thanks guys. Loren

post-22289-1247697324_thumb.jpg

The carey special was named after a colonel carey who was a frequent visitor to the kamloops area in the 20's I believe. I used them quite a bit in the vhilvotin area of bc and like you caught fish all day long. great pattern!

marc

well I can say they do work on one of our local ponds, actual a group of 3 ponds on about 5 acres, that are pretty well stocked with gills, crappies and bass. I tied a couple to try out the other day, 1 with peacock herl, one with a orange/brown body ribbed with fuzzy bug material. Using pheasant greenish tail/hackle. 3 SM bass hit them that I caught and a few I lost. So I know they are a good stillwater fly. Fished them like a streamer and bass seem to like'em :)

I'd would have posted pics but my daughter took off with my camera last week.

Mike

The flank of a pheasant is the side of the bird under the wing. As for which feathers they actually are, don't worry about it. There are really three main types of body feathers on a pheasant. You have the golden brown breast feathers with a black tip, the mottled brown and cream feathers mid-bird, and the lightly irridescent blue-gray feathers that sit over the rump right ahead of the tail. Use any or all three for a slightly different look to your fly.

Loren - you've tied your front hackle in more as a wing than a collar as the Carey Special calls for. Stroke the fibers of the feather from the tip back so that they stand straight out from the stem, or even back a little. Tie in the feather with the tip facing forward and trim the tips. Then, as you wrap the hackle stem around the shank, stroke the fibers back over the fly. They should stand out sideways from the stem of the feather. After a wrap or two, tie off the hackle with your thread. Your hackle should be spread evenly around the hook shank rather than stacked on top as you have it.

Hope that helps.

Deeky

thanks deeky. i read the instructions and they pretty much told me just to tie the hackle in facing forward then to tie the hackle back again. thanks for the help and i will try it again. thanks

Loren

Loren,

I think you misinterpreted my directions. The flank feather of a pheasant should be tied on like a soft hackle from the tip. You can tie it in from the stem if you want. I prefer tying in from the tip. I prefer 2 to 3 wraps and then I tie back slightly over the fibers with the thread to lay the hackle down.

Look at your fly and then look at the sample you posted. In learning to tie, always have a sample and try and recreate it.

Rob

Also try using a streamer hook of at least 2x to 3x long. These are streamer patterns and are meant to be longer than the nymph hook it looks like you are using. Keep at it, you are doing great.

thanks rob and thanks pelhament, the hook i used was a little small but said it was a streamer hook. i will try again until i perfect it. thanks guys

Loren

thanks rob and thanks pelhament, the hook i used was a little small but said it was a streamer hook. i will try again until i perfect it. thanks guys

Loren

One other thing, copper or gold beads make a great addition to these flies.

yeah, i was thinking about putting a bead on and also put some lead wire in it because i dont know how to fly fish yet so i just troll with flies and it works great. thanks

Loren