Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Taylor B. Hess

Average Joe (One of my first dry flies)

Good work Taylor, Very good head size, and I am being ultra critical now, The hackle proportion is correct, 1.5 times the gap length, the tail is a tiny tiny bit long. I use from right behind the hook eye to where the shank just starts to bend. The body is a tiny bit thick. but proportioned well like a carrot shape. What size is that a 14?

Keep it up, Tie 10 of them and post the first one of the ten and the best one of the ten.

Tying multiples in a row will really help, Ask Dart, I harped on him with Royal Wulffs. Don't get discouraged, I can get Super picky about flies and am not afraid to point that out. I sense from your posts that you are looking for some deep pointers.

BTW, how old are you? I started when I was 7, and have tied for 41 years now.

Cheers, Jeff, aka Futzer.

Good work Taylor, Very good head size, and I am being ultra critical now, The hackle proportion is correct, 1.5 times the gap length, the tail is a tiny tiny bit long. I use from right behind the hook eye to where the shank just starts to bend. The body is a tiny bit thick. but proportioned well like a carrot shape. What size is that a 14?

Keep it up, Tie 10 of them and post the first one of the ten and the best one of the ten.

Tying multiples in a row will really help, Ask Dart, I harped on him with Royal Wulffs. Don't get discouraged, I can get Super picky about flies and am not afraid to point that out. I sense from your posts that you are looking for some deep pointers.

BTW, how old are you? I started when I was 7, and have tied for 41 years now.

Cheers, Jeff, aka Futzer.

+1 to Futzer's suggestions. I especially agree with tying several of the same size and pattern. Tie one, then examine it carefully. Compare it to the really nice ones here, or in pattern books. When you find a few points that could be fine tuned, tie the next one. Keep doing that until you can look at your fly, and say to yourself "dang- that looks pretty good!". It will happen sooner than you think!

Chuck