Fly Tying
wildman66

LaFontaine Fly Swap

The Classic Flies Of Gary LaFontaine

My first swap on this forum will be a Gary LaFontaine Fly Swap. Gary was an innovator and scholar of fly fishing and why fish trigger on certain flies. He wrote some classic books and spent a great deal of time underwater with scuba observing what made a great fly. As a result, his fly patterns catch fish. I have used his Airhead to catch 6 different species.

Standard swap rules apply here. Toe tags, please. For those outside of the US, just add a few more flies and I will pick up the postage. Much easier, I think. Twelve tiers tying two (2) flies each for a total of 24 flies. Swap deadline is October 5th, 2009. Just post "I'm in" with the flies you would like to share.

Thanks for playing!

Gary LaFontaine Fly Swap

1) Wildman66 - Airhead/Mess Complete

2) Macahiavelli - Twist Nymph/Sparkle Caddis

3) IBRB - Diving Caddis/Were Wulff Received

4) Rockworm - Dancing Caddis/EZ2C Caddis Received

5) txflytier -Doublewing/Plain Jane

6) Ridleyffo- To Be Determined

7) Student4evr - To Be Determined

8) Flytyinfreak-Rollover Mysis shrimp/BeadHead Peacock Twist Nymph

Still TWO opportunities to join the LaFontaine Swap. His flies catch fish.

I would be happy to tie:

1. Twist Nymph. & 2. Sparkle Caddis.

Let me know what you think.

I think that would be outstanding! This will be a great swap because every one of his published flies catches fish. These two are some of his best. Welcome aboard.

Count me in. TBT

We tie again! IBRB is a prolific and very accomplished tier. Welcome and I look forward to see what you will be sharing with us.

I'm in. Let me think a few days about the patterns.

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing what you choose. There are quite a few La Fontaine flies from Wets to Emergers to Dry. This swap is shaping up nicely.

smiley2550.gif

Wildman

ok I am in with the following two flies.

1. Double Wing

2. Plain Jane

Chance

Welcome, Chance. Looking forward to seeing the Plain Jane. Only seven more opportunities to aquire some serious fish catching flies.

yeah.gif

I have decided to tie the Diving Caddis and Were Wulff. Thanks for the swap.

I wish I had time to join this swap. I hope you do this again in the winter .He had some great patterns and its a tribute to do a swap of just his flies.I know I speak for many when I say we hope to see the pics when all the flies are done.

Fred

I wish I had time to join this swap. I hope you do this again in the winter .He had some great patterns and its a tribute to do a swap of just his flies.I know I speak for many when I say we hope to see the pics when all the flies are done.

Fred

Fred-

You are definately correct on that. LaFontaine patterns are fish catchers whereever you are. I use the AirHead to catch trout, bass, bluegill, Perch, and a host of others. If this swap fills us, I'll plan on hosting one in Winter. Will also post pictures.

Rockworm and Ibrb, I have your flies so noted.

Still plenty of chances to fish some of the most successful flies around....The LaFontaine Fly Swap

I bought a reel from Gary's daughter while he was still ill. She sent me a box of flies and what the names all are. She has one named after her and I just can't think of it.

I liked his Rollover Scud the best. Mainly caused it really did rollover.

cheers, Brian

I bought a reel from Gary's daughter while he was still ill. She sent me a box of flies and what the names all are. She has one named after her and I just can't think of it.

I liked his Rollover Scud the best. Mainly caused it really did rollover.

cheers, Brian

Brian,

What an interesting coincidence in how are lives can be connected across many boundaries. I believe the fly she designed was the "Mohawk" but could be mistaken. Were you interested in tying them? They would make great additions to the swap. (Notice how subtly I slipped the pitch in there?)

For those who might be interested but don't have Gary's books, I have a number of links that also provide patterns and tying instructions.

Jim