Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tyrite

Pike & Muskie line

I am wondering I there is a really good Muskie or Pike Fly Line! I just recently piked up a new 10 wt Rod and really.

I thought some one wold have some good Ideas any help on this mater would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks tyrite(Glen Dayton)

I use a weight forward floating line, and a sink tip line. I'm not sure what brand my weight forward is, but it is nice for casting those big flies. My sink tip is a Jim Teeny line that works nicely for streamers. Off of your fly line you'll want to run some sort of mono leader, then attached to that leader you'll need a wire leader of some sort. I have a scientific anglers wire leader but people also like products called Tyger Wire. Some, I think, just use a heavy flourocarbon section for the bite tippet.

I was watching a guy use the Loop Pike booster rod with the Loop booster line throw out 10 inch streamers right to the backing. That's just over an 80 foot cast with a 10 inch streamer attached. This is my next set up in the spring. The line comes with 2 tips, one sinking and one floating.

Line

http://www.looptackle.se/website1/1.0.1.0/571/1/index.php

Rod

http://www.looptackle.se/website1/1.0.1.0/572/1/index.php

I use a somewhat unconventional custom set up for my pike rod... I have 80' of a level spey running line attached to a 15' 350 grain shooting head. With that setup I can shoot huge streamers about 70' using a Belgium cast. I use this set up primarily because I can cover water a lot faster than if I was using some of the manufacturer pike/muskie lines. A Belgium cast requires a single back cast and you shoot on the forward cast after a single haul, rather than sever false casts and hauls to work the line out. I estimate that I can make 5 average distance casts with this set up for every 3 on a conventional pike/muskie line. That might not sound like much, but over the course of a day, my fly spends a lot more time in the water than it would with with another setup... and in the water is where the fish are.

I use a somewhat unconventional custom set up for my pike rod... I have 80' of a level spey running line attached to a 15' 350 grain shooting head. With that setup I can shoot huge streamers about 70' using a Belgium cast. I use this set up primarily because I can cover water a lot faster than if I was using some of the manufacturer pike/muskie lines. A Belgium cast requires a single back cast and you shoot on the forward cast after a single haul, rather than sever false casts and hauls to work the line out. I estimate that I can make 5 average distance casts with this set up for every 3 on a conventional pike/muskie line. That might not sound like much, but over the course of a day, my fly spends a lot more time in the water than it would with with another setup... and in the water is where the fish are.

That sounds like a great set up. What rod are you using?

That sounds like a great set up. What rod are you using?

9'6" 8 wt Orvis Clearwater... that's for Pike. I would jump up to a 9/10 wt for muskie. Here is a pic of a pike I caught with that system on Saturday (I just got back from a 3 day pike fishing trip)

post-18024-1252818484_thumb.jpg