Fly Tying
Phil Richmond

IO trevally flies

They ride hook point down (that's why every one that I tie has a wire weedguard...). In use with a full intermediate line you can actually count the fly down to the desired depth.... Leaders are usually quite heavy since they're mostly used with an 11 or 12wt line. Butt section is six feet of 60lb, looped to a quick change leader with 20lb and a bite tippet of 60 to 80lb fluoro. You can fish them barely sub-surface (if you start stripping the moment it touches the water) or right on the bottom in eight feet of water.... Along with the usual 4/0, 6 - 7" fly we also use a 2/0, 5 - 6" version.... sometimes with a bite tippet as light as 40lb fluoro.

Thanks a lot capt. Do you only fish them with an inermediate line, or do you ever use a floating line, for example in shallow water?

You could certainly use a floating line for shallow waters - but I have to admit that pretty much all of my larger rods (10wt on up) are almost always loaded with an intermediate line. The 10 wt does need some adaptability so I'm usually equipped with a spare spool with floating line (mostly for working surface bugs or for working at night when we're sight fishing under one bridge or other to fish that actually parade back and forth right in front of us). That intermediate can be used in so many circumstances (and it just plain casts better than most floating lines when the wind -or waves) are up...