Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Toneloc

Tying question

I am trying to copy some speys that were given to me. I think one is called a bottle brush? or maybe a pipe brush? Regardless, they have a marabou tail, chenille body, and then hackle tied in at the head. The hackle flows back smoothly. When I tye them the only way I've been able to get the hackle to flow back the way I want it to is bye tying it down. This creates a big ball of thread at the head. I should also add that I am tying in the hack by the base and curvature going back (similiar to a bugger).

I'll try and post a picture tonight of what I want to do..lol. Maybe some of that made sense without the picture. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony

I'll have to try stripping the hackle off the one side. I thought I read/saw that somewhere.

I don't think the hackle is too stiff. Its pretty soft and webby.

Tony

Are you using spey hackle? It makes quite a difference. If you are, soak the hackle in a glass of water for about 10 minutes before tying. This will soften the stem considerably which will allow you to create a smoother, less bulky, head. wink.gif

There are two methods for tying in spey or any other kind of hackle used in salmon flies. In both cases, they are tied in by the tip, not the base of the feather.

The easiest method is to strip the barbs off of one side of the feather and then wrap it around the shank, stroking the hackle to the rear as you wrap. The second method requires that you "fold" the barbs of one side of the stem back so it looks like all the barbs are coming out of one side. This is the method that is recommended for hackling fully dressed Atlantic salmon flies. It takes a little practice, but becomes easier once you get the hang of it.

For most spey flies it's best that you stick to the first method. Spey's are supposed to be sparsely tied and stripping one side does this nicely.

It should look like this:

user posted image

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll will try some of those suggestions tonight. I'll try and post a pic if all works out well....or for that matter if it doesnt work out well...LOL.

Tony

Tony... try wetting your fingers an gently pulling the hackle back as you wrap.. if the feather is soft enough this should do the trick.. I'm still having trouble putting pics up... if i can get it soon enough i will post the method.. but it is as easy as it sounds... cheers.gif good luck man