Fly Tying
FlySlinger

Royal Wulf

Nice, but I prefer my hackle thinner and shorter for my flies.

The Royal Wulff, or an adaptation of it, is my favorite dry to fish and to tie. Unfortunately, it seems I don't have a photograph of one of mine. :(

Thanks for sharing.

Well played Frank, if I may, I use saddle or two neck hackles to eliminate the short hackle coning in the front. I also might pluck the one white calf hair that is blunt ended. I use Griffs thick as a last head coat to give it the rocket nose cone head smoothness. I have tied thousands of the Royal Wulff's and it is a very very good Western form one.

Cheers, Futzer.

Frank

That is a well-tyed fly! Much neater than Wulff would have tyed! And Lee's were also heavily-hackled. My biggest problem when tying the Wulff series of flies is crowding the head with all that hackle- a problem you clearly don't have. In fact, I think you might have made the head a bit smaller.

I can't tell how you have tyed in your hackle(s), but the easiest way to deal with what Futzer called "coning" is to tye in the hackles in front of the wings so that the butt(s) and thread wraps can help build up the diameter of the hook shank in this region. Then wrap each hackle first in front of the wings, then behind the wings, then forward through the previous wraps to the head.

Keep up the good work. Why not try a few of Wulff's Scragglies?

Nicely done Frank! I like mine heavily hackled for these fast water and it would be great right now in the riffles on the Shavers. Got to tell you about the one that got aeway last week!

I got a few in my box with that heavy of hackle, works great in the chop. Thats the first dry fly I learned to tie, and my second favorite fly next to a humpy.