Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog5485

Kelly Galloup Streamer Swap

I was just watching a video on how to tye the circus peanut and found out that it isn't a KG fly at all. Kelly tyes em and does a bang up job but the original was first tyed by Russ Mad,( Nad something ending with an add) in Michigan. I do hope that these streamers are tied big and bold in the true KG mindset. When you guys are tyin I want you to be thinkin big sexy brown trout and sex! lots of big brown trout and sexy sexy violent strikes! Yah baby!!! I'm gettina little excited just thinkin about it!

I was just watching a video on how to tye the circus peanut and found out that it isn't a KG fly at all. Kelly tyes em and does a bang up job but the original was first tyed by Russ Mad,( Nad something ending with an add) in Michigan. I do hope that these streamers are tied big and bold in the true KG mindset. When you guys are tyin I want you to be thinkin big sexy brown trout and sex! lots of big brown trout and sexy sexy violent strikes! Yah baby!!! I'm gettina little excited just thinkin about it!

I feel a little a dirty.

I'm not a KG expert, this is my first time tying anything by him actually, but it seems like many of his flies are improvements of other people's flies. This fly I'm tying is almost as big as the trout I typically catch! I just got all my materials in yesterday.

It's funny...I have the same issue...I actually spoke with Kelly Galloup on the phone 3 days ago....I called his fly shop and he was nice enough to chat with me for a while about his flies and tying...I couldn't believe it....The Kiwi Muddler that I'm tying isn't his either...It's an improvement by one of his guides on a pre-existing fly.....There were a couple of flies on the list that weren't his either...He did say that they use all of the flies on his site pretty regularly with great success....So even if they aren't his creations...It did seem that they all had his support as super successful flies....So let's tie em'......

I'm not a KG expert, this is my first time tying anything by him actually, but it seems like many of his flies are improvements of other people's flies. This fly I'm tying is almost as big as the trout I typically catch! I just got all my materials in yesterday.

I mainly tie in size 10 - 12. Boy, there is a lot of hook shank on a size 6-8 3xl streamer hook. I would hate to have one of these tap my in the ear on the way past. :shocking:

I tie his and some other articulated flies. I have had fish big enough to break off my 10 lb mono. They work well here. A lot of the guides use them. I use a 7 wt that Steve made me, a sweet ass rod, I might add.

This will be a nice swap.

Kevin

These are more of a challenge than I thought.

Probably because of the spun/razorred deer hair. I am having a hard time to get the 'heads' trimmed symmetrically.

I was going to use the word evenly, but, 'Awesome Lady' told me that 'symmetrically' is smarter.

Still doesn't help me trim them properly!!!

I'm done with my pain in the asses, please send me the Addy though I won't mail them until the end of the week due to travels.

Gents - these are fishing flies, those that know me know I typically tie size 14 and smaller trout flies or traditional streamers (carrie steven, thundercreek, etc) and do a pretty decent job. I typically am pretty careful about sending only the best looking flies out for swaps.... but these things got the best of me and by the time I got to hair trimming, my hands were shaking, so the heads aren't perfectly "symmetrical". Maybe if the weren't tandems it would have been better, but I have been tying these in steps all week long and they are going as is. So let me apologize in advance for sending such an amateur set out.

best,

Greg

I'm done with my pain in the asses, please send me the Addy though I won't mail them until the end of the week due to travels.

Gents - these are fishing flies, those that know me know I typically tie size 14 and smaller trout flies or traditional streamers (carrie steven, thundercreek, etc) and do a pretty decent job. I typically am pretty careful about sending only the best looking flies out for swaps.... but these things got the best of me and by the time I got to hair trimming, my hands were shaking, so the heads aren't perfectly "symmetrical". Maybe if the weren't tandems it would have been better, but I have been tying these in steps all week long and they are going as is. So let me apologize in advance for sending such an amateur set out.

best,

Greg

Hey Greg, Tying on hooks the size of anchors ain't my forte either, but sometimes it's good to visit the dark side and come out of our comfort zones. As you rightly say they are fishing flies and I have yet to hear a fish say "hey guys look this joker hasn't cut the head properly"

Steve (fly tryer)

'

well...mine are done....they might not be perfect either......but.....I took one for a test drive today and they catch bass.....so please send an address....

post-22995-1258339206_thumb.jpg

Great, gotta love flies that catch fish. So much better than the flies that just catch fishermen.

Private messages for those needing and address have been sent ! I m getting excited I cannot wait to see your stuff guys

Sorry about taking a awhile to respond back its smack dab in the middle of the late waterfowl season in NY and our second goose season.....its been hunt, work and sleep for the past couple of weeks ! Nothing like sitting in the Middle of a swamp all morning long to get the juices flowing lol....

Kevin

post-20612-1258344266.jpg He fell Victim to the Fly Tying Hobby ! The other morning

Private messages for those needing and address have been sent ! I m getting excited I cannot wait to see your stuff guys

Sorry about taking a awhile to respond back its smack dab in the middle of the late waterfowl season in NY and our second goose season.....its been hunt, work and sleep for the past couple of weeks ! Nothing like sitting in the Middle of a swamp all morning long to get the juices flowing lol....

Kevin

post-20612-1258344266.jpg He fell Victim to the Fly Tying Hobby ! The other morning

Great looking material lol. Cant beat that meat and tying material. Makes it even better

Chance