Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

March Brown (V.)

MarchBrown.jpg

A March Brown thing that I have been tying alot lately. Thought I would share :) Scruffy but the fish like em

Hook: #12

Thread: 8/0 UNI

Tail: Teal

Body: Hare's dubbing

Rib: yellow thread

Wingcase: Partridge

Thorax: Hare's dubbing

Legs: Partridge

That is a nice tie. And I would say the fish like it because, not despite, its scrufiness :)

Now, if you want to experiment a bit, try tying it with red or pink or peacock thorax.

Jindra

That's pretty cool. Looks like a cross between a PT and a HE. I may have to tie some up.

Jeremy

This is a great looking fly. Sometimes I think this site promotes the artistic side of fly tying a little too much, and doesn't talk about the fishability aspect enough. I tie to catch fish myself, and I would fish that nymph there in many situations. What is the smallest size that you are tying that pattern ? I'm confident that would work great even in smaller sizes as a general mayfly pattern... Good job.

Thank you everyone for a nice comments :)

What is the smallest size that you are tying that pattern

I tie it down to an #18

Now, if you want to experiment a bit, try tying it with red or pink or peacock thorax

Thank you, I'll have to try that :)

A very fishy looking pattern . Like some other have said it looks like a fly that will catch trout for sure . I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my fishing trips.......Frank

Scruffy is good. After 50 years or so of catching fish on scrffy flies, I keep on making them scruffier and scruffier. Your right, fish love em that way.