Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Darth_Wader

After A Week

post-23921-1259945390_thumb.jpgpost-23921-1259945439_thumb.jpgpost-23921-1259945467_thumb.jpgpost-23921-1259945498_thumb.jpgpost-23921-1259945526_thumb.jpg

Hey Gang:

Well here I am after a week of tying. These are some of the creations I tied prior to joining the site within the last week. The poofy white one has been fished and I'll be darned it worked. It has a beauty action in the water. I never landed the fish as it broke my 8wt and that led to it breaking my tippet. I'm guessing that it was a big lake Trout or a Steelhead judging by the colour when it came to the surface and thrashed around.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot of exciting things and ideas out here.

Alex

I'm gong to start tying here in a couple of weeks, if I could do that good in one week I (you should) would be very proud. :rolleyes:

Nice ties, really like the white ones, they would slay BUll trout here in Alberta. If I was to add something maybe a little red flash just behind the eyes.

Nice! You have a nice creative streak that will serve you well!

Hi Alex,

Considering the length of time you've been tying, your flies look great. You should be pleased with them and their results in the water. Your pics look pretty good as well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Nice looking for a week's experience. The main thing is the fish obviously like them. You'll find as you tie more, you will compare to more experienced tiers and will find little things to change and improve on your own. We have a lot of Great tiers here who can and will give you all the helpful critiques you need to improve. Again, nice ties and keep at it! :thumbsup:

Murray

Nice looking flies! My first week's flies probably looked like hooks with hairy tumors on them. :-)

One "take it or leave it" comment. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I think one can benefit greatly by spending some time trying to duplicate some of the classic patterns seen here and elsewhere. A lot of the folks on this forum tie beautiful flies - some of which look very simple. They can be deceptively challenging. Anyhow, the point is that as you get better with the classics, your homegrown "best flies ever" will look even better.

Cheers!

neoFLYte

Austin TX

Very nice flies! Did you completely start on your own or did you take a class? I took a class about this time last year, and while my flies still look like crap, they do indeed catch fish and I guess that's all that matters!

Thanks for the pictures. You are off to a great start! I think at this stage you need to be your own worse critic (I was for myself and still try to be). If you not happy with the way something comes out, unwind or cut it off the hook and start over. Catching fish on your own fly is probably the most rewarding aspect of the hobby, but I think that challenging yourself to do better and and seeing improvement comes in a close second. Afterall, there are easier ways to catch fish.