Fly Tying
CoachBob

Younger Flyfishers

I know how to cast and everything, I used to fish with a friends rod and it was great...but...yea.

30 years ago, I started fly fishing with a glass rod which was 30 years old THEN. I caught a few truckloads of fish with it. It cast and handled like a wet noodle compared to today's standards. It flexed right down through the handle. It was my Dad's. Turns out it is an early Phillipson glass rod. It's a gem which Dad used to catch more trout than I probably ever will. I still have it, and once in a great while I take it out and catch a fish with it. Just because your rod is "old", doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Well I watched some videos and i was casting with my wrist not my arm :rolleyes: who'd a thunk that a little thing like that would change everything.

as a 21 year old I wish I had the opportunity to learn to tie and fish flies at a younger age, that is why I plan on teaching as many younger fishermen as possible.

30 years ago, I started fly fishing with a glass rod which was 30 years old THEN. I caught a few truckloads of fish with it. It cast and handled like a wet noodle compared to today's standards. It flexed right down through the handle. It was my Dad's. Turns out it is an early Phillipson glass rod. It's a gem which Dad used to catch more trout than I probably ever will. I still have it, and once in a great while I take it out and catch a fish with it. Just because your rod is "old", doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

i would kill for a rod like that! :headbang: i bet it would be sweet for mountain brook trout fishing :headbang:

What's the size of this rod?