Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyfish Dog

#12/14 Mini Balsa Poppers

I'm loving the tube flies buddy! Beautiful attention to detail. Your time was well spent. These should last you for quite some time. Thanks for sharing.

Those look very cool. But I am curious... how do you incorporate the tube into the popper body? Drill though and epoxy or Zap-a-gap it in place?

I do them in batches from 6 to or dozen at time. So roughly about an hour each total.

I first scut and shape the balsa wood then I cut a fine notch on te bottom side, then take a round needle file and carefully spin the file as it cuts and open the hole just large enough for the small plastic tube to slide thru it. I roughened the tube and coat the inside of hole and lil bit on the tube and spin it into the bodies. I made special aligator clips to stick into foam holders to hold them til they dry. In a day or so I finish sand them and themn seal them. Paint them next day, usually 3 light coat Testor enamel paint over a couple days. Then finish coat epoxy. I let them cure for at least 2 days then I put on short junction tube of the new HMH hybrid tubing which is thinner then the other tubes. Hackle them and done. May take a lot of work but I am having fun doing it during these cold winter days.

nice work, my man. Love the poppers...hate tying the little ones, though! The gills are sure to smash 'em...and don't forget about the browns...have taken several browns, some decent sized browns, fishing little poppers, espeically just before or after dark.