Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutdogg

Rotary Vise Suggestion - Worth It?

troutdogg, I've never owned a Renzetti and I understand you're tickled with your new vice, but I suggest you refrain from referring to Renzetti's as "paperweights" and implying that those who have bought them have been ripped off. Renzetti's are one of the most popular vise brands out there and some folks may be offended by such comments. Just a suggestion.

-- Mike

troutdogg, I've never owned a Renzetti and I understand you're tickled with your new vice, but I suggest you refrain from referring to Renzetti's as "paperweights" and implying that those who have bought them have been ripped off. Renzetti's are one of the most popular vise brands out there and some folks may be offended by such comments. Just a suggestion.

-- Mike

Ahh come on Mike, I just have a good sense of humor! :devil: :ripped: :devil:

Well, I have actually tied on many vises including the Renzettis (hated them). In my opinion their Master Price I mean vise is not a well thought out, engineered or machined piece of equipment for the price. I have seen the coating of their vises tarnish, discolor and even pit. As a matter of fact the only parts that Renzetti claims to be truely Anti-Corrosion coated are the cam jaw and jaw hinge. That's not good especially when fly tying requires you to touch your vise during the fly tying process. A good friend of mine has very acidic hands and he returned the Renzetti vise to LL Bean (100% Satisfaction) after the thing strated turning color on him.

Their ratchet system is hardly ever used and the post mount for their base version is a very week point of their vises design.

The lower end Renzetti vises use that O Ring on all of the vise jaws with the exception of the Presentation 3000. Whats up with that? I would hope that they could have though up of something better than a rubber band aid.

If I'm going to spend any money on a vise I do not want plastic or any rubber on it At All.

Renzetti did one thing very well - Marketing........(ever take a look at their 29 page catalog)?

This is the reason that their vise has sold very well in the USA but no matter how good of a marketing program you have it will not fix engineering errors - period.

-- Mike

Well, I have actually tied on many vises including the Renzettis (hated them). In my opinion their Master Price I mean vise is not a well thought out, engineered or machined piece of equipment for the price. I have seen the coating of their vises tarnish, discolor and even pit. As a metter of fact the only parts that Renzetti claims to be truely Anti-Corrosion coated are the cam jaw and jaw hinge. That's not good especially when fly tying requires you to touch your vise during the fly tying process. A good friend of mine has very acid hands and he returned the Renzetti vise to LL Bean (100% Satisfaction) after the thing strated turning color on him.

Their ratchet system is hardly ever used and the post mount for their base version is a very week point of their vises design.

The lower end Renzetti vises use that O Ring on all of the vise jaws with the exception of the Presentation 3000. Whats up with that? I would hope that they could have though up of something better than a rubber band aid.

If I'm going to spend any money on a vise I do not want plastic or any rubber on it At All.

Renzetti did one thing very well - Marketing........(ever take a look at their 29 page catalog)?

This is the reason that their vise has sold very well in the USA but no matter how good of a marketing program you have it will not fix engineering errors - period.

I humbley disagree. Even the most expensive vise (LAW) has machined Delrin on it...

-- Mike

Well, I have actually tied on many vises including the Renzettis (hated them). In my opinion their Master Price I mean vise is not a well thought out, engineered or machined piece of equipment for the price. I have seen the coating of their vises tarnish, discolor and even pit. As a metter of fact the only parts that Renzetti claims to be truely Anti-Corrosion coated are the cam jaw and jaw hinge. That's not good especially when fly tying requires you to touch your vise during the fly tying process. A good friend of mine has very acid hands and he returned the Renzetti vise to LL Bean (100% Satisfaction) after the thing strated turning color on him.

I humbley disagree. Even the most expensive vise (LAW) has machined Delrin on it...

See, now thats the problem!

All plastic components will dry out and crack - even Delrin a plastic used in Hot Wheel Toys........................

I know because I have worked with it for many years and buy the way - keep Delrin away from household cleaners.

Here's the link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene_plastic

Maybe we should talk about something less volatile, like politics or religion.

I think it's fair to say that finding a vise that suits you is a personal quest, the outcome of I hich will depend greatly on what you tie, which features are most important to you, etc. I think the Swiss Vise looks great, but I ended up going a different direction, and I really like the vise I ended up getting instead. Not everyone likes the type I chose, and I don't personally care for the vises some of my friends use. As long as they are happy with their vises, and I am happy with mine, that's great.

At least you aren't suffering from "buyer's remorse" after spending a considerable amount on your vise. I am glad you love it. Your enthusiasm at finding the right vise for you is understandable. Just understand that others might feel similar enthusiasm for their vises as well.

BTW... I hate to have to break the news, but your vise uses steel, a metal used in Hot Wheel toys. :lol:

David <><

I think it's fair to say that finding a vise that suits you is a personal quest, the outcome of I hich will depend greatly on what you tie, which features are most important to you, etc. I think the Swiss Vise looks great, but I ended up going a different direction, and I really like the vise I ended up getting instead. Not everyone likes the type I chose, and I don't personally care for the vises some of my friends use. As long as they are happy with their vises, and I am happy with mine, that's great.

At least you aren't suffering from "buyer's remorse" after spending a considerable amount on your vise. I am glad you love it. Your enthusiasm at finding the right vise for you is understandable. Just understand that others might feel similar enthusiasm for their vises as well.

BTW... I hate to have to break the news, but your vise uses steel, a metal used in Hot Wheel toys. :lol:

David <><

David, actually it's 316 staineless steel for all the raw steel components and I can't recall Hotwheels making a stainless car. :yahoo:

Hello,

I have been tying on Regal Medallion & API Spartan vises for years and have been toying with the idea of getting a rotary vise. I tie anything from #24 to Saltwater fliers so I will need a vise that can handle the full spectrum.............

It seems that the Renzetti Master vise is pretty common and well liked but what about the C&F Reference vise.

Quality looks nice but has anyone seen or used one. I can't even seem to locate the size range of the hooks that it will handle :unsure: .

Well, I hope that someone can make a few suggestions and point me in the correct direction.

Oh, and my moto is "Get The Best Tools You Can Afford" you'll be happier in the long run.

Getting back to the question, is a rotary vise worth it? I have an unnamed rotary that I like.

Two nights ago I got out my old Thompson because I had midge jaws for it and tried tying on it. I kept trying to rotate it to look at my progress with the fly I was tying. I can still tie on the Thompson, but I would rather use the rotary. I guess I'm spoiled. I will keep breaking down my rotary when I go club meetings every Tuesday and tying jam every Thursday nite at my local fly shop.

Lanning

Troutdogg.

It sounds like you found the perfect vise (for you).

I think that's great, enjoy!

Thanks oldtrout58

I think so and because of this vises versatility I can't see the need for ever using another vise.

Tyes 32 to 9/0 perfectly secured and centered because of the vises unique adjustability feature. Oh, I almost forgot it also tyes Tube Fly's and comes with three precision machined stainless steel Tube Fly mandrels to boot.

Just flip the vise 180, remove handle, insert mandrel, screw on lock ring and your ready to go. One of the mandrels is a mini unit which looks great for tying extended bodies for Green Drakes, etc.

Can't wait to try this feature!

David <><

David, actually it's 316 staineless steel for all the raw steel components and I can't recall Hotwheels making a stainless car. :yahoo:

Oh, I'll bet there's some Hot Wheels steel on that baby somewhere. :rolleyes: You can't have all metal components out of the same steel, or they spall. If it's not Hot Wheels, they might have gone for that Matchbox stuff. And don't diss the Hot Wheels and Matchbox. They are the Renzetti and DynaKing of toy cars. You could really start something if you disrespect those cars. :lol:

David <><

Oh, I'll bet there's some Hot Wheels steel on that baby somewhere. :rolleyes: You can't have all metal components out of the same steel, or they spall. If it's not Hot Wheels, they might have gone for that Matchbox stuff. And don't diss the Hot Wheels and Matchbox. They are the Renzetti and DynaKing of toy cars. You could really start something if you disrespect those cars. :lol:

Ahhh, finally a man that knows something about materials.

Spalling would be correct if it had surface to surface contact between to similar materials. The rotary finction has bearings to eliminate this possible problem.

And No, I will not diss Hotwheels or Matchbox cars since this would create WWIII............. :hyst:

tying jam every Thursday nite at my local fly shop.

Lanning

One More Cast? You'll have to introduce yourself! I'm thinking about tying a streamer pattern some night...

tying jam every Thursday nite at my local fly shop.

Lanning

One More Cast? You'll have to introduce yourself! I'm thinking about tying a streamer pattern some night...

I said hello to you at Great Waters, I was one of the guys from Dupage Rivers Fly Tyers (DRIFT).

I was at One More Cast last night for the tying jam secession. PJ tied a wool headed sculpin. It was standing room only. Another interesting lesson about crowding the eye.

Tight Lines

Lanning.

I will be at the DRIFT fundraiser auction Saturday. Check our website and see if it interests you.

www.dupagerivers flytyers.org