Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steeladdict

Zoo Cougar

This past weekend I tried out some olive and tan Zoo Cougars out on the local smallies in a Northern IL stream, they hit them hard. Fished them with a sink tip and jerk stripped them "ala" Kelly Galloup.

Zoo Cougars are one thing I wanted to try this year and never got the opportunity.

What sink rate and brand of line was you using? I'm looking to get me a sink tip.

That's a streamer I've wanted to use, too. When I first heard of them years ago I tied 4, but then I heard of another fly and tied it, then another, and another...

A fly that for me as well that seemed to get pushed to the bottom of the list....Until today. I tied one up just the the hell of it at hit the river. Pressure is way down and could'nt buy a bite anywhere on the river. I tossed everthing at them including my old stand by....nothing. I tied on a cougar and nipped a shot 4" up the line. Second cast I got slapped by a nice white bass. Same thing on the third cast. Then zero after that, because the malard flank got ripped out. One dozen of these bad boys coming up tonight!!

Art

Steeladdict give a Full sinking line a try sometime, i'm sure jerk strippin cougars works with a sink tip but i think you'll find the FS line works great, thats the line galloup&linesenman suggest for that meathod and i've used it for a couple years and liked it.

SD

Nope i use one made by Rio but any FS line will work.

Thats a very common misconception about a FS line being harder to cast (i thought the same thing till i tried it) but once you try it you'll notice its very easy to cast to be honest.

SD

I have a SA Mastery intermediate sinker and actually like it much better for short to medium casts as it loads the rod much easier than a floater. dunno.gif

pickin up the line is a bit different, but its not really any harder to cast. i wonder if i can throw a zoo cougar decently with that 4wt.... prolly pukes out with any wind whatsoever with a fly that large.

steve