Fly Tying
mspaterick

red fox tail

Natural Red Fox tail works well for tying crayfish patterns. Also works for Clouser Minnows, particularly the Foxy series. It's easily dyed too.

I tie hair jigs with it also, for use with my spinning tackle. :rolleyes:

I tie hair jigs with it also, for use with my spinning tackle. :rolleyes:

Spinning tackle?? Hair Jigs ???

Thats just silly, who ever heard of such things. Stop telling the children such nonsense. :nono: :crazy: :lol2:

Now back to the fox tail. You could also chop some of it up and add it to your dubbing blends. I`ve done this with coyote tail and rabbit dubbing to make it a bit more spiky.

Well, the hair jigs are too darn light to throw on any of the 18 baitcasters I have, so I got to use a spinning rod! <_<

:D

What are those?? :huh: More silliness?? :rolleyes: There is nothing after fly fishing ( or before) ! :headbang: :wacko: :dunno:

Silly boy! There are many tools on the path to enlightenment! The most important being an open mind! :rolleyes:

I love hair jigs for the whites and smallies! If the river is too high to hit wading, a big jig on a spinning rod does the trick. May not be as much fun as slinging my fly rods, but a fish is a fish

Chris, I'm with you man! I also prefer to throw flies, but I'm not opposed to other techniques! My hair jigs aren't big usually, 1/4 oz is about as big as I get molded on a 2/0 or 3/0 light wire hook. I tie them with all types of hair, with rabbit & fox or coyote combination being my favorites. Smallies eat them up!

If I need to go big, I'll toss a big black & blue jig & pig or a big black spinnerbait! :hyst: :lol:

Quarter oz is big for me as well , J. I prefer a Size 2 hook with a custom poured 1/8 head. A bud of mine hand pours his own just for hair jigs. It's more than enough weight to really get the jig down, but still light enough to finese fish. But I digress.

to get back to the question at hand, fox tail is a great all-round tying material. I use it for wings on streamers, claws on craws, tails on poppers, etc. Your use for the material is often limited to your own imagination. Experiment and have fun with it!

Hi,

The hair may work well for a hair-wing Spruce Fly Streamer. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

As mentioned, streamers and crayfish. When you clip the bunch of hair and comb out the underfur, save the underfur in a baggy. It's a great, course, reddish brown dubbing. Two uses out of one clip.

Deeky