Fly Tying
Kingfisher

Baitfish patterns

These patterns target all members of the bass, pike, and perch families, as well as larger trout. Basically, the idea is a simple one: predatory fish love to snack on smaller conspecifics as well as small members of competing species. With that in mind, the following are examples of young gamefish...

This one is a yellow perch with yellow belly...

post-23-1095795524.jpg

That bottom pic would almost perfectly imitate the SkipJack that I seen in the river I fished this past weekend. Very nicely done!

The last two patterns are obviously attractor patterns, but still have their place in any well-stocked baitfish box. These flies are very simple to tie; when I have some time later I'll do a step-by-step on them.

Thanks! I'll be working on fry of smallmouth bass, brook, brown, and rainbow trout, landlocked salmon, and pike/pickerel in the next couple of weeks. Also, I'll be doing some smaller versions for forage fish such as BND. These patterns are literally nothing more than a hook, thread, and sparse bucktail, flash, and marabou. They take about four- to five-minutes each to tie. Finishing them and adding the eyes takes some additional time, but I just tie a dozen and do the eyes the next time I sit down at the bench.

Where did you get the eyes or did you make them? The flies look great especially the eyes! I would love to have the recipies. They look similar to some stuff I tie for stripers and salt water, just smaller.cool.gif

Nicely done I am looking for some different patterns for my anual trip to the susquehana for smallmouth (if it ever goes down after all of these hurricanes) an these will have to be added before I go

Yakfisher, have a look here for one of the saltwater patterns tied in the same fashion. I always try to match the color of the eyes with that of the fish being represented, which means that the vast majority of the time I'm using gold epoxy eyes (these ones are made by Spirit River, but any epoxy eyes in the same color and appropriate size will work). They can be quite hard to find, but a store in North Jersey, Tight Lines, carries them, and I have recently found them online at J Stockard. I'll probably be placing a big order for them today, since I'm practically out. Whenever I find them in stores, I usually buy every last pack.

Those look incredible!

What size hooks are those if I might ask and what type?

Again those look like some great smallie weapons, i want to tie some of those up.